Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jack-in-the pulpit flower orientation

Posted by johnsonm08 5 (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 9:44

Hi
This is the second year flowering for my Jack-in-the pulpit, and both times now the inflo has faced the house. It's on the east side, and gets a fair amount of sun. The open side of the spathe faces the wall both times. Does anyone know if its facing away from the sun, it's how the tuber is oriented, or maybe just wants to face west?
Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jack-in-the pulpit flower orientation

I would plant it under a tree in the shade, with good moist soil and water moderately. Arisaemas are woodland plants and grow in the understory of trees. They are best moved in the Spring when it is a little cooler.

o

I had one in the same place for years and it always flowered in the same direction.... toward the house. I don't know if that is because of flowering toward less light, or because tte plant knows which way it is facing.

o

I had the same experience c a sunflower. I guess the reflection of the white stucco was brighter than the actual sun to this silly plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here