Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to start?

Posted by trillium41 z5MA (My Page) on
Sun, May 29, 05 at 9:54

I have had the wild Arisaema in my gardens all my life. It is only recently that I have seen some of these amazing pink and white colorations as well as the amazing variety of forms. I live in zone 5 in Western Mass. I am a decent gardener, but don't want to buy something beautiful only to kill it. What might be a good/safe choice among these plants for my area. I am particularly drawn to the pink stripy ones or the intense black and white stripy coloring of some. What would you suggest? And where is a good place to buy them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to start?

• Posted by KWoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 3, 05 at 10:38

A. candidissimumare probably the pinks you are talking about. They also have white and yellow variants. The aroid hardiness list on the IAS site lists them as hardy to zone 4, that's probably someone just showing off. Many Asian Arisaema can take quite a bit of cold during dormancy if kept very dry and in very sharp drainage. Plant Delights and Heronswood both have Asian jacks, there are better less expensive places that you can find them if you do some searching.

o

Thanks KWoods. I'll try to keep looking for those places. If anyone can suggest other sites to check out, I'd appreciate it. I see that Wayside Gardens also has them for a couple dollars less. Has anyone tried them?Thank you

o

I bought A. trifolium from Wayside but they didn't come up this year. I received them in bulb form, not as a plant, and they were very small. They sprouted last year, but not this year so far. Sometimes, though, I have planted bulbs before that produce only root growth for a year or two and then come back, so I will patiently wait whatever the outcome will be. I ordered A. nepenthoides from Heronswood this year, as a plant. Good root system, but looks like it is dying back. However, I think this may be the habit of Ariseamas when the weather begins to get hotter.

Good luck.

Susan

o

Hi,

The one that is a bona-fide hardy Arisaema for your neck of the woods is amurense...they come from Russia and can take zone 3.....others are tough in zone 5.....you can also likely grow tortuosum and consanguineum....this has many wonderful variegated forms and is all in all highly variable.....of course Ar. dracontium is a sure bet for your neck of the woods as well....our other native jack. Best of luck :o) Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here