Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
elephant ear

Posted by cheryl919 z5 IA (My Page) on
Sun, May 30, 10 at 11:24

I bought an elephat ear bulb this year at Wal-Mart. It is growing fine. I have been noticeing brown spots on it and that kind of ruins the whole look. One leaf is brown all the way around the edge. There is a new leaf ready to uncurl and it already has a few brown spots on it. I noticed fruit flies or nats in the pot on top. I have been spraying it every now and then. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: elephant ear

You said you have it in a pot? The bugs your seeing are probably fungus knats not fruit flies. Colocasia like lots of water. I'm not sure about the brown leaf margins. Do you have a pic?

o
RE: elephant ear

Since it is possible the "spots" are natural to the species you purchased, being able to offer advice is very difficult without photos as requested above.

This plant is likely a Colocasia since you mentioned a "bulb" but could easily a member of another genus as well. There also easily over 150 forms of Colocasia depending on the species and the cultivar. Some like very wet soil while others prefer drier conditions. The term "Elephant Ear" is used for many different plants which often makes good advice difficult.

It is certainly not critical that anyone call the tuber by the correct name but no aroid grows from a bulb or corm. According to the texts, all grow from tubers. These are simply causal terms for the starch storage container that is truly the underground stem of the plant.

If you can post photos clearly showing the top and bottom of the leaves as well as the petioles that support the leaves someone should be able to give you better advice.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here