Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandy02256

how about persian palm in the pond?

sandy0225
18 years ago

Would the persian palm alocasia work well in a pond? Potted in a pot of soil and submerged to an inch or so over the top of the soil line? Has anyone tried this?

Comments (7)

• lariann
    18 years ago

If you have a few plants, you might choose to risk one by putting it in the pond, but if you have only one Alocasia x calidora (the true name for "persian palm"), my suggestion is that you do not do it. Neither of the parents are aquatic types and although they might grow well in soil that gets marshy or wet from time to time, I don't think they would take too well to having their roots submerged full time.

There are other EEs more suitable that you can put in the pond without risking the loss of your Alocasia x calidora.

LariAnn Garner
    Aroidia Research

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroidia Research

• bihai
    18 years ago

Especially if your weather gets cool. Wet roots on alocasia + cool/cold temps can = rot

• sandy0225
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have several, so I put one in each pond. I had some trouble with raccoons knocking the pot over in my large pond, and had to repot it multiple times, but it seems to be growing. The one in the smaller pond that didn't get disturbed, it's growing really well. Both seem to be doing well though, and are exceeding the growth rates of my "soil based" persian palms. Just thought I'd update you on this.
    I live in Indiana, we have had some cool weather, but they are doing fine.

• HawCreek
    18 years ago

I dont understand the name Alocasia x Calidora? arent both the parant plants Alocasia?

I understand that it is A. Gagaena x A. Odora that has become the Alocasia x Calidora. But why cant we just call it Calidora? it's easier to type.

I dont see how it hybridized to be such a large plant being partly A. Gagaena. very cool though! I would not have chosen those two to "mate" with each other.

why did you stop doing your research Lariann? just interested and curiuos.

• lariann
    18 years ago

If you check my site using the link below, you can read about some of my experience with the Alocasia x calidora. The A. x calidora being distributed in the trade is just one of a number of very interesting seedlings that came out of that cross. I have one that I consider to be much more attractive than the "commercialized" A. x calidora; mine is much more morphologically between the two parents, with the round leaf and ripple edges of A. gageana and the larger size of A. odora.

The nomenclature is according to the requirements of the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature. Although those who grow it may call it "Calidora", those who don't know the plant wouldn't know it is an Alocasia if you just called it "Calidora".

Part of the fun of hybridizing is not knowing what kind of unexpected progeny will turn up. Most people would think like you and not choose to mate these two plants, but by doing so they would miss out on what I discovered by doing it.

Ever heard of a hurricane named Andrew? Think about what that storm would do if it hit your collection directly, and you will have an idea of why my research stopped for a while.

LariAnn
    Aroidia Research

Here is a link that might be useful: Alocasia x calidora Pixies

• HawCreek
    18 years ago

that i can understand about the hurricanes since i was slammed with all but hugo last year. thankfully to God, we only lost a few plants. a lot of trees, but my alocasias/aroid collection is still about 97%. i am re-collecting the ones i lost. I even had some bananas that were only pushed over. we only had the 80mph winds for a few hours. seemed like it lasted a LOOOOONGer time.

good plan on crossing those two plants!

really neat looking pixie there! you must have a jungle by now?

if you hybridize most aroids, will the seeds from the hybrids be viable or no?

the only aroids besides v. peltandra that i have success growing directly in a pond is xanthosoma sag, and colocasia esculenta. I wouldnt place a large x. sag in, i would start with a smaller one that doesnt have a large bulb yet. but i have them growing in a pond all summer and have to ocassionally trim the roots on them or theyd take over the pond.

I havent tried any alocasias.

thanks Lariann for your reply.

• etropicals
    18 years ago

On another note I have grown Alocasia X Portora (Portidora) in the pond and it got really big very fast. I basically submerged the pot it was in inside the pond and covered the top soil with pebbles so the fish wouldnt start rooting around in the pot.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm