Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lariann_gw

New Dark Alocasia

lariann
16 years ago

I'm posting this in hopes that someone has seen this plant and might know the origin of it. I've made a page for it and posted pictures there; see the link below.

At one point I thought this was the plant some were calling "Jurassic Dark", but since I found the Jurassic Dark is apparently a variety of Alocasia plumbea 'Nigra', this plant I found is something new.

I call it Alocasia sarawakensis 'Dark' because morphologically it is just like A. sarawakensis, only with the coloration.

BTW, if you want one, let me know!

LariAnn

Aroidia Research

Here is a link that might be useful: Alocasia sarawakensis 'Dark'

Comments (6)

• Jane5
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh!!!!!! I just LOVE that!!!!

I am just getting started with my collection of Alocasias. I wish I lived in an area that I could find something like that. Everything I get has to be mail order.

Congratulations on your find.

Jane

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

It is gorgeous, LariAnn! Hope it multiplies like rabbits! I've been told I shouldn't get any more plants until I take care of what I've got, but sooner or later I definitely want one.

• philofan
    16 years ago

That's an stunning one for sure! I would be glad to take a spare one, LariAnn.

I tried to get one of the new A. infernalis plants, but the grower had a crop failure. Are they hard to grow I wonder.

Here is a link that might be useful: A. infernalis

• lariann
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A. infernalis is one of those "jewels" that is a diva. I have some of them and they will up and die just like some of the other jewels do, and for no apparent reason. I've tried crossing with A. infernalis and so far no luck. The plant does appear to have characteristics that would place it nearer A. cuprea than the other jewels.

One thing about A. infernalis is, besides being a small plant, it gets a somewhat stretched out stem that ends up being unstable due to being top-heavy.

I do have a few small plants of the Dark Alocasia (much more robust and stable, BTW; contact me privately if you wish to get one.

LariAnn
    Aroidia Research

• Gardener972
    16 years ago

Jane5, just curious, do you grow yours outdoors or inside? Do you order yours or can you find them locally?

• Jane5
    16 years ago

They grow inside in the winter and outside in the summer. I only had a couple of Colocasias and was worried that the big pots might not do well. In late summer I took a couple of small starts and potted them up. The big pots went into my plant room with my bananas and houseplants. The little ones went under lights where I grow my annuals. Well the big ones did shrink some over the winter but did not die. The little ones pretty well just held their own. Well this spring I put the big pots out on the deck and planted the little ones in the ground. Right now they are all looking great and putting up new growth. So I am happily adding to my new addition.
    I live in a rural area and we donÂt have very good places to get plants so I have to get a lot of my stuff in the mail. I have already gotten one order and will be placing another one tomorrow. The biggest problem I am having is finding places that take payments other then Pay Pal. I donÂt do Pay Pal and find that is all a lot of places take.

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor