Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gumby93

Typhonium venosum tips

Gumby93
18 years ago

The lilly guy I bought this from told me the bloom would smell like rotting flesh, and that I should cut the flower off to avoid the smell. When do you do that? Will that effect the growth of the plant? How long does it smell bad? Any tips would be appreciated.

I also have it planted in a 3 or 4 gallon pot. I just brought it inside the garage last winter. Do I need to dig up the bulb and store it dry? Or is it just fine to leave it in the dirt and store it inside, watching to make sure it doesn't bloom :)! I am new at this so please explain things to me as you would to a 7 yr old!

Comment (1)

• stonybrook
    18 years ago

Mine grow in pots outdoors, year around and are just now breaking dormancy. They have been reported as hardy in Z5b (-15) planted in the garden. The odor usually lasts only a few days, probably until pollination occurs. The vector I've noticed is a swarm of green flies, which to me is more objectionable than the odor.
    The tender Aroids that I bring in for the winter are planted in well drained potting mix and allowed to dry out and remain in the pots until last chance of frost has past in the spring before placing outdoors and watering. They are often later in flower and foliage than they would be in their native habitat, but I enjoy them whenever they decide to bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroid Hardiness List

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor