Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claudine_gw

Amorphophallus Konjac (picture posted)

claudine
17 years ago

I'm hoping someone in this forum knows anything about Amorphophallus. I just got mine to bloom for the first time. It only took six years. Now the flower is wilting down and I would like to know if I should stop watering it and store it as I would for the winter? Or should I continue to water it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Claudine

{{gwi:18857}}

Comments (8)

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

That's a much prettier flower than mine was! I'm not an expert, and there are some on here, but I would assume you should let it sorta rest until it starts to put up its leaf, and then feed and water the heck out of it so it'll bloom next year. Down here, after they bloom, I just leave 'em be, and add some fertilizer if I remember--all my Amos are in the ground. Come to think of it, I should check the ones I got this spring to see if they've started growing yet! Along about time I think.

• CarolynA
    17 years ago

I'd like to know too. I planted mine because I thought it was putting up a leaf but it was a flower. I didn't expect a bloom so soon! Do I just leave it in the ground? Do I water it? Will it put up leaves next? It's in a pot with a few other, smaller, Konjac bulbs. I'm just not sure what to do with it.

PS -- the bloom is great! But, a little smelly.......

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

Hi, These need no water to bloom and not even any dirt. It helps to think about how these grow in their native environment. During their dormancy they do not see water and they flower in the early spring ahead of the rains....that way the seed ripen about the time the rains come and the new seedlings can grow until the end of the rainy season. You should start to see a new leaf emerge about 2 months after the flower. There is no need for water now and in fact it can be very bad for the tuber if it is also cold...this will cause rot. Once the new leaf is above the soil line you can begin watering. Once it dies back in the fall you can unpot it and find many offsets attached to the main tuber...these are rhizomatous on this species. These can be safely removed to propagate new tubers. You need two separate clones if you ever want to see a nice big seed head of red berries. The tuber of this species can be stored completely dry out of any soil without any problem at all. These tubers can easily get to 10 pounds and sometimes larger, although mine typically split into more plants, which I personally prefer. I personally think the leaf is the most interesting part of these plants...once you have seen the flower once they become mundane, but the leaf is like a massive umbrella on a large tuber!! This is a very easy species to grow and you will not have any problem with it at all. Best of luck :o) Dan

• greenthumbgardener
    17 years ago

I started out with a very small plant that I bought from a Amish farmer in Lancaster, Pa. about 8 years ago. My original tuber now must be about 4 or 5" in diameter. I find it funny that no one has mentioned the horrific odor the flower spike has. When mine blooms, it is relegated to the patio where the flies think it is carrion. The plant itself is very beautiful up until fall weather starts to set-in. Then the plant looks beautiful one day, and the next day it literally collapses. I then shake it from the pot and throw it in a dark corner of the unheated basement, where it remains until I see it come to life around early springtime. Then I start the whole process over again. They also seem to produce several marble-sized bulblets every year. It is a fascinating plant. Bill

• ARUM
    17 years ago

Never thought It would come to this, but Dan, I think I prefer the leaf also. This year I wanted to cut the bloom off, hoping to spare the draining of the bulb. DH says, no way! :) arum

• smurfy_grower
    14 years ago

I'm looking for some voodoo lilies, I have A. Konjac and Sauromatum venosum (common voodoo) Also when do they bloom? Mine were baby bulbs bought on ebay. Both have leaves about 20" high.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

It'll be a few years before they'll bloom at that size.
    Here is a photo of one of my ping pong ball sized tuber Konjacs, She's 1 1/2 feet tall. I also have some 4 Lb. Tubbers and I'm curious how tall they'll get!

{{gwi:385183}}

• botanybabe
    14 years ago

I have one that has a leaf stalk that is 6 feet tall, but still hasn't flowered. The tuber is half the size of a football and is very heavy. I'm not sure why it has not bloomed in its third year, but maybe I'll get lucky next year. The stalk is the prettiest part, I think having marbled spots on it. If you know any tricks to make it flower, I'd like to know.

Lainey

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional