Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arisaema thunbergii entering dormancy?

Posted by weirdflowers 5 (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 14:21

About three weeks ago, I got an Arisaema thunbergii in the mail. It looked great, fully leafed out and had a big, funky inflorescence on it. I repotted it into a lean, fast-draining pine bark/perlite mix, fed it about once a week with MG all-purpose...

As expected, the inflorescence started to shrivel up, but then the leaf tips started to turn pale yellow. It has been progressing up the leaflets and it looks similar to when my Amorphophallus go dormant.

Here's a picture of what it looked like a few days ago:

photo DSC02117.jpg

Since I don't have any previous experience with this species, I don't know what to expect. If it's not going dormant, I'd like to know so I can correct any issues before I kill my plant. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arisaema thunbergii entering dormancy?

Strange time for an Arisaema to go dormant. It would help to know its history. Since you got it in full leaf, makes me wonder...Did it go dormant this winter? Maybe the shock of going thru the mail forced an untimely dormancy.
Does the pot have drainage holes?
Another possibility is fert burn.
And of course, there's the possibility of rot.
I would examine the corm for signs of rot if the plant continues to go downhill. If you find rot, gently cut away c a clean knife and dip in 1:10 bleach:water solution and let air dry for at least a day before replanting.
If a dormant plant fails to come back after a couple weeks, I would consider stratifying for a few wks to reawaken the corm.

o

Thanks for your response, Leafhead!

At this point, I'm pretty certain it's going dormant: it's doing exactly what my many Amorphophallus do when they go dormant.

I only recently learned about stratifying Arisaema corms, and I'm glad I did. Last fall, I bought some A. thunbergii var. urashima and just stored them like I do with Amorphophallus. I planted them and not only where there no signs of life after six weeks, but most of them had rotted. The two I have left are sitting in a bag in the back of my fridge for the next few weeks, and I think this new one (var. thunbergii, a gift from my sister who didn't know I already had the urashima) will join them soon. In a separate bag of course...

o

I have a fridge full of Milkweed seeds at the moment...
Can't plant them until middle of June sometime.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here