Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracunculus question

Posted by greenclaws England (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 07 at 15:39

Hi, this is not my usual forum but here goes anyway!
I have just won a Dracunculus Vulgaris bulb from eBayUK and have several questions that I can't find the answers too.... it's just over 3inches in diameter and I am planning on growing it in a large pot in my greenhouse.
1...what size pot would you recommend for a bulb this size?
2...do I plant the bulb completely under the compost or leave the 'nose' showing?
3...what kind of compost does it prefer?
4...how much water do they like?
5...do they prefer sun or shady conditions as I have found conflicting views?
6...what is the best temperature for it in summer/winter?
7...how tall can I expect it to grow as I have seen a picture of one in excess of 6ft on the internet!?
I realise I may have to evacuate the g/h when it flowers, if I can get it to flower that is, what are my chances seeing as I am not exactly in a tropical location...but it will be worth the try!
Thanks in advance.
Gill.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracunculus question

Hi Gill,
I will try to answer your questions. I have been growing them for about 7 years now with success. One thing to keep in mind is I'm in zone 6 and have clay soil and grow them outside.
1. I have never grown them in pots. They are hardy here and stay in the ground year round.
2. I plant my bulbs about 6 inches deep.
3. I have never put compost on them or fertilized them. They grow like weeds here.
4. They like well drained soil and will rot if the soil stays wet a lot.
5. I have grown them in full sun and they will bloom but they don't get very big. I now have them growing on the east side of my house and they are in full sun until about 12 pm and in shade the rest of the day. They are very happy here.
6. Mine usually break ground around the first of March when it's still fairly cool and are just now starting to bloom. I have about 18 plants this year and 9 are blooming.
7. Mine were about 4 feet tall last year but expect them to get taller as the bulb gets bigger.
I hope this info helps.
Jim

o
RE: Dracunculus question

• Posted by ornata London UK (8/9?) (My Page) on
    Tue, May 15, 07 at 10:09

They are pretty hardy, I think. I grow mine outdoors just like any other garden plant. It flowers every year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here