Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennabee_gw

Choosing the right fertilizer for my Anthuriums?

jennabee
16 years ago

I was wondering if someone can shed some light on purchasing the right fertilizer for my Anthuriums. I am growing a nice Anthurium Anturio that I purchased at my local exotic plant store. I just repotted them last weekend in a nice quality Orchid Mix, as I have read a lot of people have had success growing them in that mixture.

I've read mixed reviews on fertilizers. I know that Anthuriums are sensitive to Nitrogen, but some websites say to choose a fertilizer that is rich in Nitrogen. However, other websites said to choose a fertilizer where the middle number (Phosphoric Acid) is the highest number, so the plant will put out more blooms. I currently have a fertilizer that is 7-13-9 which I was thinking I would use diluted to 1/8 strength every 6 weeks for them, but I want to be sure I am using the proper fertilizer.

When I repotted this weekend I went from a 6 inch pot to a 7 1/2 inch pot, and the roots looked healthy but somewhat cramped. My goal is to get a fertilizer that will help me grow this plant to be larger and put out more blooms, and I know not to overdo it. If anyone can let me know what fertilizers, brands, or dilutions worked for them I would be most greatful! Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting