Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsjd_gw

Could you have a look at this Monstera please?

MrsJD
10 years ago

Hello from Scotland!

This is my favourite plant. My Monstera Deliciosa. I've had it for a few years now. I have always wondered why I only have one main 'stalk' when others in pictures appear to have loads of sprouts from the pot. Mine has 4 aerial roots which are well rooted into the soil but none have sprouted. It has 11 leaves in total and about 9 aerial roots.

Is it ok? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you

Jacqueline

Comments (15)

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

They don't sprout from the roots, it would only be from the stem itself. Some of those others you have seen in photos may have been multiple plantings. They will sprout easily from the nodes so you can cut the stem and have a number of plants. But there has to be a node with every cutting. Your plant looks quite good, although it could probably do with a lot stronger light.

• MrsJD
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much for your replies!

I must have picked up wrong information somewhere about the aerial roots. :-)

Don't worry the plant gets loads of light. The photograph was taken at night just before I went to bed.

Great having advice here, think I'll stick around!

Thanks,

Jacqueline

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I think we're all on a steep learning curve, just different positions along it.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

Nice looking plant.
    Monstera's aren't big branchers. They can and do occasionally branch out but I wouldn't count on it to happen. Those big busy pots of these plants are almost always multiple cuttings in one pot. You can try air layering to start out some new roots high up on the stem and cut the top end off once there roots start growing and then plant it in the pot with the original vine.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Hello from Alabama USA, and welcome to GardenWeb!

Many vines do send a new shoot when a node takes root, so that concept is accurate, but may just not apply to this plant, which is incredibly beautiful, BTW. Nice!

If you don't mind my asking, what is the wooden(?) thing to the left?

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

Taking another look at your photo, This plant may be a Rhaphidophora tetrasperma rather than a Monstera. They are often confused with and sold as monstera.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Rhaphidophora tetrasperma is a lot smaller than M. deliciosa. Hence one of the names it's sold under is "Mini Monster". From the photo it's a bit difficult to get a proper sense of perspective but still, it does seem a bit big for R. tetrasperma.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

I don't see geniculum on any of the petioles in the photo. R. tetrasperma petioles are much more slender and longer in relation to the leaves than M. Deliciosa. M. Del's have a fatter Stem (vine) and the petioles are larger where they attach to it. Also, at least in my plants, The Rhaph's petioles are "D" shaped in cross section and the Monstera's have a somewhat flattened oval cross section.

The leaves can be 12" or 25cm which going by that giant sized UK electrical outlet in the photo seems about what the bigger leaves would measure

• MrsJD
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the wooden thing in the corner of the picture! It's made of roots. I love it very much but it's very heavy so we haven't been able to hang it on the wall yet.

• MrsJD
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A quick pic of one of the leaves

• MrsJD
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And it seems it's loving its wee moment of fame and has produced a new baby for us! Can't wait to meet the new fella.

• dellis326 (Danny)
    10 years ago

What is that thing? A mirror?

That's a nice plant. Could you post a photo of where the petiole attaches to the leaf from the underside of the leaf.

Danny

• gulcoa2x
    10 years ago

if it is monstera and not some exotic shade lover that i am not famiiar with i would give it more light.

• Mary Beach
    4 months ago

I would say more light & let it dry between watering but when you do water it give plant food.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022