new amorph titanum thread

Posted by lomodor 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 19:26

lets see if starting a new thread on titanum will let
us open easier..and post pics..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new amorph titanum thread

is it just the aroid thread that wont take pics anymore????
whats going on.. i wanna see how you alls aroids are doing
and ya..i want to brag on mine too..:)

o

I doubt it will block pics let me try

o

nice teengardener.. is that your titanum??

o

Yea right, I got the picture off of google just to test pics

o

:) wouldnt that be great if ya had a titanum that size though!!! :)
gardenweb still wont let me post pics from my files..
sigh..

o

I haven't been having problems posting photos. Maybe you should try contact the GW tech people.

My small titanum that's been going dormant had its leaf wither away as normal. Decided to repot in new soil and larger pot before it came back. When I unearthed it I saw what's in the photo below. The old leaf isn't entirely withered yet and it's already sprouting again. They don't give me much of a chance. The 2 young plants were still in their original tiny pots in sand where I germinated them.

Anyway, I put it in a much larger pot with new soil so hopefully it will appreciate it. There's still the one that has never gone dormant to do.

o

Here is the newest tuber, just starting to put on some size. Roots should come soon.
Tropic, I'm not sure of the orientation of your pic. It looks like a growth tip out of the bottom of the tuber? Is the green on the top right the old leaf-- still attached?
Mike

o

thats very cool tropic..LOL no rest for the wicked..:)
i have a species amorph..lost the tag..oops.. they were small corms..one came up fine..other.i figured it rotted..
even repotted in my "new" potting mix.. go figure.. what showed its greenish/white head..the other corm..:)
i have my largest titanum potted up.. i did bury it deeper
its 17# ( 7.7kg).. i have another one comming next week
its 12# ( 5.4 kg)..
its going to be a forest here come summer..:)
i'll try again..and see if i can post pics..

o

ok lets give this a try..this is the larger titanum

o

ya..finally.. i dont know what the $(%%$ was wrong before..? anyways..
im hoping this one will get around 8ft tall ( 243 cm)
last one that was 14# ( 6.3 kg) when leaves finally
furled out..it was i think just under 7 ft so..
this one is 17# (7.7 kg) if i grow it well..maybe even
taller.. sigh..greenhouse time..LOL

o

Mike, yes, it's the old leaf (with still a bit of green and yellow) at the top right of the photo, still attached and not completely dried out. The new growth is out the bottom of the tuber. I've never unearthed them at that stage before. I sometimes get 3 leaves simultaneously on them, so that's probably how they fit the extra leaves in while there's still one on top. This one probably never really went dormant, just the new leaf was a bit slow in coming out as the old leaf was fading. At least it's finally in new soil, first time in its life. Just have to get the other small one repotted now. But it produces a new leaf while the old leaf is still going strong. May have to risk moving it anyway. It's still in the sand I planted the seed into. Not much CEC in sand.

Dave, 243 cms is taller than I got my largest paeoniifolius (227 cms). You're going to have to make sure you can move it into shelter for your winter. If you jolt it a bit too much while moving the petiole could break. I know all about broken petioles. With the cyclone season I tied my paeoniifolius to the verandah supports. Luckily no cyclones that season, although one before and one a couple of seasons after. That last was when the large titanum was broken and went dormant. When the cyclone came it was safely sleeping underground.

o

Looks like I get to join the Titan club!
She's all packed up nice and I'm a but skidish to unpack her.
Ill have a photo op soon enough as be sure to share with you folks

In short, I landed a 5 pounder!
All she's just starting to spike up a little bit.
It's certainly larger than expected and honestly bigger than I wanted, I enjoy bringing plant up from tiny sprout, it's awful hard to complaint about getting a 5# corm versus a 1 pounder tho.
It's really what I needed to perk up what's been a very perturbing couple of days as far as my online plant interests go...I guess I will just never understand people, what they do, and why...

Now the pressures on the get pottin materials together before that spike really pushes up, I got about a million questions but I have enought time to get read up and make a plan... So away I go to read read read, I certainly can't kill this thing but I will be taking cuttings!
I need a Titan forest!
So I better stuff my fogey head with all the cultural info I can find, which is surprizly little, and then to figure out these cutting! Of which there is even less info!

Wish me luck!

o

hey kentucky grab..
is this mike???
im a newbie to amorphs..this is my 2nd growing season..
i certainly am learning too..
there are some good people here..with some excellent
thoughts and insights..
hope to see your pics posted soon..
we learn alot from each other here.. not alot of
titanum growers.. so its great to get info from other
growers!!!
good luck to ya !!!!

o

Here's the spike and the first tiny roots!

o

And here's the whole thing!
Sorry there's nothing in the pic for scale, I was balancing the corm in my left and the camera in the right.
I'm 6' and have a pretty big hand, sadly my good scales don't go up to 5 lbs but this thing barely fits I 5 gallon bucket, I think it weights a bit more than 5 lbs...

o

Welcome to the very steep learning curve!

We had a sudden burst of winter the other day (even though we still have a week before it officially starts). The wind came howling in from the south east, cold and dry. I noticed the titanums weren't really protected from the wind, it still blew in behind the shade house. So on the bamboo frame I strung some weed mat, it blocks the wind better than shade cloth. The wind was really whipping the titanum leaves around and the morning sun was direct on them. They were really limp. My night minimum got down to 16C and the day only up to 29C. Lucky the wind only lasted one day, today was less windy but it had swung more north east, which comes in more humid. Today got up to 31C and I think tonights minimum should only get down to about 20C to 22C.

Lucky it didn't happen while I was away. At least I was able to knock up some effective shelter. But the bamboo frame that I put up about 6 months ago has nearly reached its "use by date". I'm going to have to rebuild with steel pipe. I don't have any real good building bamboo growing at my place. Mine just splits up too quick.

o

very nice corm grab.. make sure to pull away that
sphagnum moss.. give the corm a good 6" potting mix
above the corm. with amorphs..the roots are on top, not
like so many other bulbs etc..
U sure get the wind there in darwin tropic.. here we get some wind at change of season spring/summer.. usually
around now..usa holiday memorial day.. so far..no high winds.. yet...
biggest titanum corm petiole hasnt broke top of potting
mix yet.. i did bury it 8" (20 cm) gave the roots plenty of
room to grow out..
interesting ..my smaller titanum..20" ( 51 cm) tall really has been an agressive grower.. this is my 1st growing season with it.. i was watering it couple weeks ago..and what do i see shooting out of the bottom of the pot???
roots.. thick,white plump..thats a good 7" ( 18cm) below
the corm..cant wait when it goes dormant and see how
big the corm got this growing season..
its still an experiment with my new potting mix im using.. but i think the extra drainage it gives has been good for the corm..??? i could just be dreamin.. LOL
i do water more often though..i dont mind..
tropic hope ya get some new rigging for wind protection up for your babies...well..some not so small...

o

We been havin wind here 3x a week, it keeps shedding leaves of all my new landscaping... On top of that if had the heat on 3 nights in row, at the end of may it should be a sauna out there, and it has been for about 3 days... Otherwise a cold ass spring! Grrr!

I wonder how tall the Titan will get I'd rather it stay inside the greenhouse!
Outta the wind, but if its in there and gets too big I'm boned... Buh

I'm struggling a bit with finding soil, no orchid bark round here, except the tiny bags at lowes, after my experience there yesterday I'm not sure ill be going back there.
I can get pearlite no prob so that's good, but the selection of potting soil/mix is not so great...
Pro mix of all kinds, everything grows in it...
Or miricle grow stuff. : p
Or crappy generic "potting soil" which is all basically rotting peat with a but of pearlite...

I'm not sure what to do!

o

weve had some breezes..but nothin like tropic or u ..grab
have been having.. its really been a nice transition from spring to summer.. so far.. LOL
your largest corm is 5#.. tropic knows this stuff better than me..but i would think..if u grow it well, that is..good draining soil,moderate humidity,good fertilizing,dont let potting mix
dry out..especially when its in vegetative growth.. it might get 4 or 5 ft tall (122cm -152 cm)..
potting mix.. pro mix is good..i cant get it locally..and shipping is way to much for the amout id need..
so ive resorted to make my own..
i use lowes smallest sized pine bark..not the shredded
i bought alot of large sized pumice..and then i add peat
it looks like a good mix.. i'll find out how my plants take to it..
keep us posted..and pics as it grows ....

o

Congrats on the big "baby"-If you have a pet store nearby, the repti bark for snakes and lizards works great. If you can, get a coarse grade perilite, otherwise I would sift out the fine stuff and the dust before adding it. Can you get the Farfard mixes? I just started using the 3b mix as my base. I also just found that hydroponics stores have a big selection of stuff that can be used as amendments. I wouldnt use the MG--it seems like its infested with fungus gnats lately.
MIke

o

Petsmart here I come!
I think the hydro shops are a rip, ours offers nice stuff, at unreasonable prices!
I do have a reasonable garden supply here, the don't carry any fine grade bark, but I can get pearlite there, maybe some commercial mix as well, I'm unsure what they even stock these days.

I sure hope she can take some heat it quickly gets cool in there at night if the doors left open, but quickly climbs over 110 in the sun during the day if closed, I've never left it closed past 12 I fear it wouldn't be goid

o

Titanum aren't very good with heat. They come from the rainforests on Sumatra where they get high rainfall, continual high humidity, very little wind and not much variation in temperatures between day and night or throughout the year. So they don't like either high or low temps. They're often growing on limestone in deep leaf litter. I put a layer of limestone pieces in the bottom of the pot. That also helps with drainage. Then I buy the cheapest potting soil which is mainly composted waste vegetation and put a fungicide through it. Later I add slow release fertiliser. It's what I've found works for me in my climate.

o

i think that was the undooing of my large corm last fall..
i was so concentrated on providing "heat" to the soil..
i heard from u (tropic),good friend lari ann gardiner.. against my efforts in this.. mmm. lesson learned..
until i put my large titanums out..probably next week.. i have them sitting on heat mat.. bottom soil is around
80F (27C) and top 5" of soil stays around 68F (20C)
this yr im using.and so far like the potting mix.. of
70% pine bark fines, 20% coarse pumice,and 10%
peat..
i think if i sifted a good quality potting mix..kept the larger size and used as potting mix..id be fine..
also..since i have high level of draining in the mix..i water more..but water flows thru..so no soggy potting mix..
i had some agricultural limestone..ran out..and i have
powdered oyster shells..
my additives are azomite,zeolite,oyster shell powder, fish bone meal.. and good advice from tropic..bio fungicide..
i will use fungicide once a month..just to make sure those corms fend off disease..
grab..dont put off potting up your corm/s to long..titanum doesnt like being out of soil..where other "non tropicals" konjac,even paeonifolius do fine out of "soil" while dormant..

o

It's hard to see, but its the size of a quarter. I've been taking pics of the whole process, when it starts to leaf I will start a new thread an post them all in order.
Mike

o

i see tindara had several corms up..went for some $$$$
good for them ..they rock..:) theres a biggie up still
31# (14kg).. i would so love to get it..but..i would need even a bigger pot them my largest now.. sigh..
im hooked.its a drug..:)
my small titanum is going strong.. petiole isnt growing in girth much more now..i "think" its reached its potential for this growth cycle..?? i guess i'll see..
i am amazed how fast the petiole grows..once it breaks top of potting mix.. last yrs..geesh.. im keeping a log on my tropicals this yr.. mr science..:)
the 12 # one hasnt shown sign of petiole yet.. but its only been potted up for not 2 weeks..

o

so mike..u seem really sucessful with leaf cuttings..
do you have a method that u find most sucessful??
i wish i had done some cuttings with my big titanum last fall.. at least have something from it..oh well..
i was thinking trying some when my largest 2 titanums shoot up.
i was thinking of making a tiny greenhouse frame...like 3ftX 2ft..cover whole thing in heavy plastic..but so i could just sit over trays holding the potting mix..and the leaves.. do use a rooting powder? i found with my tomatoes last yr..i used a kelp/fulvic/humic powder mix..an wow.. i got roots forming everywhere.. ??

o

so?? hows everyones titanums doing???
i hear from one of our good buds.. his are slowwwwww to
get going..
my 3 largest titanum corms are i think doing good..
i expressed to my new titanum enthusiast friend that
with my very limited "new" experience growing titanum
that they come out of dormancy when they are good and ready.. and i found from last yr.. wow..when it does..and shoots up.. i was amazed how much growth (petiole) out
in short time..
?? others thoughts???
im finding with my "new" potting mix..which i do like.. that i am watering alot more often. and im thinking this summer i will need to every day..im good with that.. sure will flush out the soil.. i let the pot sit in ferilizer water for awhile so roots can get what they need..
anyways..?? how r u alls titanums doing????

o

thought id post this and see if anyone is up in edmonton,alberta canada???
the mittart conservatory has a BIGGIE titanum..
ive kicked around idea of hopping on plane and go and see it..
it bloomed in may.. blooms are great..of course..but those of us that are "nuts"over these plants.. i love seeing the
vegetative growth.. to get idea of the "trees" big corms can produce..do a google..tindara orchids..and see some of the MONSTERS they have grown..
theres another trip i gotta take.. :)
anyways.. anyone up in edmonton area???

o

So I'm hoping I might be able to get a little insight and possibly some help here; new to both these forums and the A. titanum species.

A few months back I had obtained a seed and, planting it in proper soil covered with a plastic sheet to retain moisture, mostly left it alone to do its thing.

A few weeks ago, I had to leave for a week; immediately before leaving, I watered all my plants, including this seed, not knowing if it had sprouted or was even viable.

A few days ago, I peeked under the sheet and noticed the tip of the seed had grown moldy; I started digging it out, only to find two things: The seed had, in fact, sprouted quite well, and that there was far, far too much water in the soil. I fear that, when I watered it in preparation for leaving, I'd given it too much and possibly drowned the seedling.

I've transferred the plant to a different container that drains much better, with similar soil, but I'm not sure if it's too late. The sprout is kind of a pasty purple-white, and incredibly tender, and the roots, while impressively extensive, are incredibly limp and almost bleach-white (which is normally a good thing, but I have no idea with these).

Is the sprout drowned? If there's anything I can do to make sure it survives, what might that be? Any information would be immensely appreciated, even if that information is "You're worrying over nothing, leave it alone!"

o

Bap--
That's what I would have done. Mold is bad though. I think you just have to wait and see what happens now. Keep the temp even around 80 if possible no hot or cold spikes. If the sprout is above the soil it will need bright light.
Lodo--did you mean always sitting in water? I keep mine more on the dry side - I think it's probably easier to recover from under watering than over.
One bloomed in madison LY 40 min away and I didn't find out till after it was done!
Mike

o

i gotta try some leaf starts when i get some from big corms..:)
mike.. i agree..on "drier side" is better than soggy wet..
i wonder though..these "tropical amorphs" like the wet side.. not typical growing conditions..
i know tropic down in darwin australia..his corms (i think mostly paeonifolius) do ok even when flooded.. go figure..
:)
what a bummer missed flowering mike.. we have one kinda show greenhouse near here.. ive been thinking of encouraging them to get a biggie titanum .. id even buy the corm if they would grow it out..
lol.i might be in that situation with one of mine in a couple yrs..LOL :)
good luck baphjimm.. on your success with your seeds !!!
keep us informed if they survive... post pics too.. :)

o

Well, I think I may have posted my worries prematurely. I went in to check on the plant today, and noticed the teeniest bit of growth above the soil! As the sprout had been entirely below ground when I discovered it, that's how I re-planted it, so the fact that there's about 4mm of obvious sprout above ground now is an encouraging thing! I'm sure right now it's putting all its efforts into putting out fresh, healthy roots too.

As for light, I have the plant about a foot away from a large fluorescent grow-lamp fixture, in a baggie to retain humidity. The average temperature in the room where it's growing is about 78F right now, so I'm pretty sure it's doing alright in that sense as well.

Now we wait! Thanks for the advice.

o

Mines just sitting, the spike keeps creeping towards the surface...

o

so its getting there then grab !!! :)
i think my situation is..days are no problem for the titanums.. its nites.. i did a test for last 4 days.. we had some warm nites..and "good sleeping" nites..
this is the soil temp.. 4" down..
i got 68F,66F,60F,and 58F..(20C,19C,15.6C,14.4C)
i think the lower temps dont help encourage the petiole
growth..
after all they came from tindaras greenhouses..
i understand they keep a high 70sF for days.and high 60sF for nites..
i have growth everyday..so i think i just have to be patient..and it'll get there when it gets there..

o

In the soil that deep there shouldn't be a lot of difference between day and night, especially as you're keeping them in the shade. Pots will show some variation because of their small size and elevation above the soil, but it still won't be that great. So those low temps won't be much different to what they are during the day. That is a bit low for optimal growth. In the tropics the rain is around 22C to 26C and filters through the soil. I think you'd be better trying to keep the lowest temps only down to about 20C. Air temps aren't as critical provided they don't go too low and don't stay down for too long.

o

I've not been seeing much difference in the appearance of the growth spike; while it does appear to have grown a little bit, it's still that pasty purple-white color (and a bit of brown absorbed from the soil, it looks like). I know I'm probably worrying too much about it, but I am worried.

I'm wondering if watering with a very light hydrogen peroxide mix might not help. I'm talking maybe 1.5 teaspoons of 3% per cup of otherwise RO water; *super* light, just enough to get oxygen to the roots. Would this help, do you think? I am fully aware that hydrogen peroxide, at certain concentrations, is considered an herbicide, which is why I ask; I have no idea what these plants' tolerance of such things might be. Has anyone else tried something similar?

o

ive read somewhere useof hydrogen peroxide..at low concentration levels..
ive never tried it..
i bet tropic would know some on this..
i had problems with fungal infection (which titanum is
prone to) last yr..and im not making that mistake again..
im currently using a biological fungicide in every other
watering..
tropic.. yea..i think once summer gets here in full force..
the soil temps will stay above 21C
day temps wont be a concern for me until late sept..

o

Here's hoping the image uploads...

Went to check on the sprout this morning and dug around it a bit very carefully (I use a chopstick in the garden quite regularly); upon exposing the lower stalk, it's a lovely, healthy-looking "I'm a plant whose entire life thus far has been underground" white. It's difficult to tell in that photo (my phone didn't want to focus on it), but the vague cone shape in the middle is the sprout. It's largely indistinguishable from the perlite in the container in the image, but it's definitely noticeable in person. Here's hoping the next few weeks hold plentiful new growth!

o

i think i see the sprout..
very cool !! :)
we care for these plants as they need all of our attention..and go figure..they come thru ..:)
i had a (lost the marker what it is..sigh :( ) small amorph
in a pot last fall.. its a "tropical:" i missed placed it. found it.. dumped the potting mix out..there was the corm.. figured..
sigh..its dead..but i potted it up..watered..and go figure..
its alive !! :)
looks like its a hewettii..
keep us posted on progress on you newbies...

o

1/2 an inch of progress today, my pots huge and staying in the sun for now...
Stupid cool nights are just pissin me off now...
Had some huge bug, felt like a centipede shoot up my pants leg tonight, I couldn't get outta my breeches fast enough...
I shouldn't need to wear pants at night on days this hot!
All my other amorphs are atleast peeking above the soil now, some in full leaf
I thought I could put some small bulbils I had in the same pot, things got cramped quick, I'm not excited at the prospect of dividing and repotting amorphs in full leaf... Not at all!
Think I'm better off doing it sooner or later?
the plants in question range from full leaves to small spikes, I knew better, I was just short on sterile dirt, I shouldn't have put it off so long that's for sure!

This post was edited by grabmebymyhandle on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 5:32

o

were having warm/hot days now too..
nites were warmish up to yesterday..still mid 50sF so not bad.. i know the amorphs would grow faster if nites stayed in 60sF..it'll get there..
i think were gonna have a HOT and dry summer here..
great camping weather though..:)

o

First, have another, much better photo of the sprout. This was taken yesterday morning; in-focus, you can definitely see where the sprout is.

It's not been growing terribly quickly, nor has it turned even the slightest hint of green; as such, this afternoon I put a little more soil over the sprout, hoping that perhaps it might do better with it. Obviously, I'm not sure. It's difficult to tell in that image, but there are definitely defined "regions" of growth like one would expect from a tuber-based plant, a few sort of "sheath" leaves surrounding the central spike. (I'm not sure what those are called.)

I also noticed last night what I had initially thought was a hollow on the spike; this afternoon, I believe it more to be a wrinkle on it, as though there had been more there at one point, only to have pulled back or something. It's not something I'm familiar with, but then, as I've said before, I am woefully unfamiliar with any of these plants.

Out here, we're regularly getting days in the upper 80s and into the 90s Fahrenheit, while our nights vary from the mid-50s to the mid-60s; we're also in the middle of a rather serious drought. (We are about to enter our monsoon season, though; crossing fingers!) All of these are reasons I've kept this little guy inside. Hopefully, it pulls through!

grab: Aw man, I wish you could have seen what crawled up your leg; I love learning about local arthropods, regardless of where "local" happens to be. (I was born and raised in Cincinnati myself, so I'm mildly familiar with your region.)

o

Grab, I wouldn't worry about it being a centipede, they usually go down, seeking the lower spots. But it might have been a scorpion though, they'll often go up. Hope that sets your mind at rest, LOL.

My small titanum that I repotted still isn't showing above the soil. The tuber has a sprout that is getting a bit longer (slowly). The sprout from under the tuber isn't showing but I'm still not prepared to go looking (excavating) for it.

We had a sharp dip in the temps during the week. Got down to a zone 12a. Each day either side was 12b, but average is still 13a. This morning was a 14a. I hope that's the end of our "freezes" for this winter. Can't complain though, this year has been better than last.

This is the sprout on top of the tuber, I covered it back up after the photo.

o

tropic..so..im not the only one that digs (ever so carefully) around the petiole to see progress..:) LOL
we really are curious folk arent we..:)
looking at u all's pics ..and others on many forums/sites..
i think im keeping my titanums..and hewettii to much on
the dry side..
thinking more on this.. that cant be good for the roots..
and side roots,etc..
one titanum corm i had last yr..going good so far this yr..
when i 1st potted it up..my golly..the roots,and root hairs..
was a furry web of roots.. which im sure is a good thing..
i dont think i need to worry much about potting mix holding to much water..my main component is pine bark..so it drains like a sieve ..
if im not starving my plants from fertilizer..im parching them with holding back water..
i think im a mean (*#$^&*$ so and so to my plants..
LOL
ive changed my watering.. even with my konjac..
i might have time this weekend..i gotta get some pics..
and post..

o

Well, I decided this morning to dig up the sprout carefully just to check on it; roots are literally falling off, completely withered, and the base of the sprout looks pretty juicy. I don't believe it has survived. I will continue to try and care for it; if the sprout had a bit of energy left in its seed, it might be able to recover, but at this point I'm doubtful.

o

My large titanum has gone dormant. It's too early, by about 5 months. I think because there's been too much sun and the drying winds we've had. A couple of days ago we had another blast and I think that was when titanum decided it was time to pull its head in. I'll have to put it back near where it was originally and put a steel frame around it to stop falling branches. The small titanum (the one that's never been dormant) right beside it isn't showing any signs of trauma but it's probably been screened from the sun a bit by the larger one. And the one that I repotted recently has finally showed itself without me having to excavate. But no sign of the shoot that was coming out from the bottom of the tuber.

o

well i think one of my small titanums is ready to go into
dormancy.. for me..theres are 2 sides to the growth stages
of ..i guess all the amorphs..but with my titanums/hewittii..
its like christmas when i see a new petiole shoot up..LOL
yea..im a sap.. :)
new growth..how big will this corm get..
and when they go into dormancy..i get to up pot and see how much size the corm put on from last time..
gives me a clue as to..how did i do at growing it.. :)
this corm..actually had a side petiole come up while the
older petiole was going strong.. havent seen a new petiole..so maybe this corm is saying.. "rest time"..:)
i'll take pics of corm ..when i up pot it..

o

on my biggest..so far... titanum corm..originally 17# ( 7.7 kg).. with it comming to life.. more watering..etc.. ive done like im sure many of us..dug a bit on sides to see roots,rot,etc.. im running into major roots.. and nice side roots..with hairs.. yea !!!
i put this corm in largest pot i could find.. its 26" (66 cm) across at top.. im thinking..i gotta find a source for even
bigger pots.. like.36" ( 91 cm) width.. next growing season..(a yr away for sure) ..all things go well..im going to need some BIG pots..
i have asked lou at tindara..where he gets his.. im hoping i can special order some "BIG" pots for next yr..
anyone have ideas???

o

IDK what stores you have in your area but Garden Ridge sells some of the biggest pots I have ever seen..no idea how large they are but I can fit inside of them and im 6'1..give them a look if there are some around you

o

Winter is turning out quite reasonable, although it was forecast to be above average. Of course, most of my amorphs are dormant anyway and won't be enjoying it. It's 11:30 PM now and the temp is still 28C, down from a maximum of 34.1C this afternoon. The morning minimum should still stay above 20C, as it's been for the past few days. We've still got a week before it's the middle of winter.

My large titanum has withered enough for me to move the pot which still has one of the smaller titanums in it. I tied the small one up to some bamboo stakes to stop it from wobbling around while I wheelbarrowed it to the (next) new place. It's far more sheltered from wind there and has good year round shade from tree canopy.

When the larger titanum leaf completely withers I'll take the tuber out and the smaller plant can have that pot to itself. Then I have to get a new large pot for the large tuber. But I want a shallow one so the plant doesn't stand up too high. The pot already has to be above the ground to prevent tree roots getting in. So this now is "Titanum Sanctuary Mark III", hopefully the final one.

Here's the small one in the pot, still in the wheelbarrow. It'll have to stay in the barrow for a few more days until I have time to set it up properly.

o

Close up

o

Well, the one seed was a letdown, but another is presently doing quite well! Wasn't over-watered, and now I'm being sure to use only RO water with it to avoid the possibility of introducing potential hazards. (Our "tap" is well water, largely unpurified; a few salts are in it, but more dangerous would be the large quantity of waterborne spores.)

This picture is of the healthy spike, growing beside what I am told is an A. variabilis. The variabilis is one growth season old; I'm just amused at how it's being dwarfed by the seedling titanum.

o

I have a few amorphophallus konjac. I'm ready to try a titanum. Anyone know a reputable spot I can get a seed or cutting?

o

for seed..tindara wont have any until 2014..they are the best..
you could see if someone on aroid.org has any they would sell or trade you..
there also is a guy in poland that sells seed,and germinated titanum seed on ebay..
ive never tried seed so cant speak to that..
and johnson here has been very successful getting leaf cuttings to root..so maybe he would help ya out..
and if youre willing to put down the $$$ buying a corm is always a good way.. right now there are some up on ebay from winnipesaukee orchids..aka tindara.. and they are probably the best source of quality titanum corms..
i have several of theres..
good luck.. let us know how it goes....

o

Good luck finding a corm anywhere else!
I lucked out on mine and found it thru the grapevine...

A corm will ALWAYS be a more reliable way to grow than seeds!

I wish mine would get it leaf out, it's over 2 feet tall, and is finally done producing cataphylls, the leaf should be next!
It's really moving now but it's also almost August, I sure hope he's happy in the greenhouse for fall...

o

i hear ya grab.. i gotta get some pics and put them up..
largest titanum..has so many roots..i think the 26" wide pot
must be full of roots..thats good..but the petiole is only maybe 8" tall.. next one down ..i know there are good roots..didnt spy on it as much..LOL.. but that petiole is just under 12" and i planted it almost a month later..???
go figure..
these corms do what they want to.. we the gardeners have to just wait and let them do there thing.. LOL :)
i know from last yrs medium sized corm.. once the petiole got going..it shot up..
i am planning to be keeping both these in the house this winter..as.. they "usually" stay in a vegetative growth stage for anything from 8 months..to.......???
even my small titanum corms..just over an inch wide..
were in growth stage for around 10 months.. while the
petiole was wilting..new growth was already comming up..
i "think" for good growth,health.. obviously warmth,moist
potting mix, some light.. but..is good draining potting mix, a good soil fungicide (i use a biological fungicide) and
im learning..pretty heavy fertilizing..i havent had to back off with fertilizing on small ones ..as yet..since they never go into dormancy..they just pop up a new petiole.. which..i would think would be good for building up a larger corm..and i have had larger corms each time after
oldest petiole dies..
i repot in new potting mix with new growth
??? grab..?? how big is that corm u posted pic of???

o

It was supposed to be 5 pounds, it was heavier, it just barely fit in a 5 gallon bucket, it think the pot I used is overkill but I don't see that hurting anything...
I think I need to to step up the fertilizer, I've been burning thru it on my EE, and don't want to over do it before the leaf gets out...

What kind of fertilizer and schedule are others using?

I peeled the final cataphyll back just a hair and can see the leaf, it's moving fast now so I'm hoping it'll be out by Friday!

Tonight's low will be 57 I'm so tempted to put it back in the greenhouse, I was told under 60 is a death sentence, that may be an exaggeration but I bet it first enjoy these cool mornings...
I also know that spike is tender as can be, one false move and it's done...
So with no one to help me move it I guess it's on it's own...

57... In July... In the south... Come on!
I could see my breath at 11 AM!

o

keep up the fertilizing.. :)
wow.. 57F in the usa south end of july?? wow
we havent been below 70F at nite here in utah for
over a month..
i dont know if nite temp of below 60F is death nail..but
the plant wont want to grow.. i have a friend in tallahassee,FL and he sturggles with titanum in winter..only
because he doesnt put the plant in a greenhouse..
loves the heat/humidity otherwise..but "even in the south"
winters can get chilly..
good luck to ya !!!!!!!!!

o

well heres a pic of my slooooowwwww going titanums..LOL at least the large ones.. small petiole is the biggest one.. 17#, taller one. is 12 #.. the big leafed out amorph is a
BIG konjac.. im anxious to see how big the corm gets on it..

o

i keep forgetting posting multiple pics..anyways..here 2nd pic .. this titanum is 20" tall as of today..it puts on couple inches a day.. i remember last yr..once they get going..they put on height fast..hope so..
also..leafed out amoph is a huge konjac..its 61" tall today.. above the pot.. hoping it'll be a huge corm this fall..??

o

and big pic ..more of konjac

o

tropic..ya know..re-reading the posts here..and yours on
titanums not liking heat.. and we have had i think i read in local online paper.. 17 consecutive days of 100+F
this is very unusual for us.. and im thinkin..those titanums are talkin.. "what the $*(##$((#@# is goin on here".." give us a break!".. now im not saying i actually heard any of this.. just saying..LOL :)
i think when i moved them into deep shade.. thats when they came alive.. a break from this heat...
anyways.. i can see.. im going to be living with the 2 big ones in the house this winter.. :) yea.. roomies.. LOL

o

"roomies"? Are you going to charge them rent, make them pay their share of the cost of keeping them?

o

lol.. mmm. i love $$$$.. i wonder i would collect????

o

ok..check out the monster titanum lou has up on ebay..
50 # ( 22.7 kg)..
i want !!!!.
where the ()#$%(#)*($ would i put it??? LOL
anyways..check out this thing.. WOW !!!!!

o

finally got a few pics of most leafed out titanum..it always
amazes me once they start in vegy growth..how fast they
shoot up...:)
this one is 50 in above the pot.. (127 cm) im thinking from
past experience at this stage. still has another 6-10 inches to go..then the leaves will drop and fan out..
it is 5.5 inches ( 14 cm) in girth at base ..just above the
potting mix level..
so far..looks good.. now another.. ?? 6+ months at this
stage..hope the corm puts on some nice size..
this one was 12 pounds ( 5.4 kg) when i planted it..

o

im always amazed at how fast these plants grow..
not even a month ago..and the 12# was barely a ft tall..
today its 68 inches (173 cm) tall..and the petiole is just over 6 inches (15 cm) thick at the base..
even the bigger 17# corm..aka "mr slow"..LOL is now
28 inches (71 cm) tall now.. FINALLY..
heres some pics..

o

and of the 17 pound one "mr slow"
its 28 inches tall.. finally...

o

Now if you can only figure out how to keep them from leaning so bad!
I turn mine constantly!

I keep debating going on and moving Buford to the greenhouse, it was 52 the other night!
I just worry that although it will stay warmer it will also experience a greater temp swing, for now it's still out in the cold!

I also worry about over fertilizing while the leaf is still immature, this year leaf feeds next year tuber, so I feel like once the leaf is up and hardened off its making the new tuber, and clearly needs fed then, but I'm not sure if more fert right now will make a big difference, I don't want to push him too hard... Although I do with the rest of my heavy feeding aroids... The EE are eating water soluble used as top dressing! Best I can figure they are getting about 4-6x recommended dosing... Maybe way higher, if it got (LOL) I hit em twice a week instead of once... Most of them love it!
I just don't have the nerve to hit my one and only Titan with all that juice...

o

i hear ya grab on turning the pots..:) i do same..not as often as i could..
on fertilizing..i think the stage your titanums at..it would be fine giving good doses of fertilizer..
maybe not as heavy as your EE's.. but every watering..fertilize.. thats what im doing now..
once in leaf..i bump up the fertilizing..a good balanced
10:10:10 with extra kelp,fulvic,humic and 1/2 dose of
bacterial fungicide..
i hear ya on fertilizing EE's..i have always been of thinking..1/2 the dose just fertilize more often..
not so with EE's.. i think i was starving my EE's last yr..
im such a bad parent..:)
even though amorphs are "heavy feeders" i dont think id
fertilize at same level as your EE's.. but i also wouldnt hold back either..
is that vague or what??? LOL :)
temps..we are hitting 69/72F nites now..so im good i think into 1st 1/2 of sept.. but..the weather will do what it
wants to do.. we just have to adjust to what it brings us..
52F thats pretty chilly.. can you bring it in at nite..then put out when the sun comes out??
i doubt 50sF would kill your titanum..it just wont grow much..
keep us posted..
good luck !!!!!!

o

yet another addition to my ever growing collection..
eekkks..i do think i have a problem..
LOL
this one is 9 pounds (4 kg) is just under 9 inches
wide ( 23 cm)
im really pleased with planting this with so many roots
and root hairs. !!

o

ok u all..i need thoughts??
my titanum that is in full leaf now..lookin great..colour,etc.. the leaves..they are huge.. almost all are 9" and many are
11'' long..
this isnt a big titanum.. my last 2 that got to this stage..
lost..sigh due to fungal infections.. the leaves were great..one was much larger than this one..but the leaves
werent this big..
thoughts???
should i back off the radioactive fertilizer??? LOL :)

o

?? anyone else drooling at the mouth over the MONSTER
titanum up on ebay right now..
sigh..i am..
?? where would i put the thing???
its 71 pounds (32 kg)
ive been thinking..it probably wont put up vegy growth
this season..so flower.. i could handle a 6+ft flower in the house..
its the vegy growth.. maybe that would be my incentive to
put a greenhouse up next yr..
LOL i think im insane..lol :)
i love these plants !!!!

o

Nice new tuber with the roots! I dont think you have room for the 71 pounder though--I'll send you my addy and you can have it shipped here--- LOL---
Once they are leafed out I think you can let them dry a little more and that might help prevent the rot.
Also FYI my little cuttings are on the front porch and temps down to 50 with no ill effect.
Mike

o

excellent mike..
ive got to remember to call u that instead of johnson..
:) sorry man.. :)
for a short moment ..i did think..where could i put a 71#
corm..LOL.. glad i hadnt had a couple beers while thinking..LOL :)
thanks for that added observation on your leaf cuttings..
i guess im over cautious with corm rot..loosing really nice
corm last yr.. there were additional contributions to its demise.. sigh.. my doing.. :(
but..i think a good spraying with biological fungicide
adds a bit of insurance for the corms success..

o

finally "mr slow" is comming into his own.. FINALLY !!
lol
again im amazed how fast these titanum grow once they come out of dormancy..and want to grow..
it is 47 inches (119 cm) tall as of today..above the
pot..
i would think it will put on maybe another 6+ inches of
height before the leaves unfurl and it drops some..

o

when they want to grow..watch out..LOL
"mr slow" leaves are now hitting the top of the porch ceiling.. just under 76 inches..last couple days..they are
spreading out.. whew..LOL.. even the petiole girth has
really taken off..
facinating..

o

Here is my big boy, third year from seed. Just went dormant, roughly doubled in size since last year. I moved it to the west window this past growing season--much better tuber growth with soMe sun.
Mike

o

excellent mike!! i have 10 titanum seeds going now..
i hope i dont kill them all..LOL sigh..
thats a great looking corm..u obviously are growing them
well!!!!!!!!

o

10 more!! Bigger BIGGER greenhouse.

o

lol..well.i cant count my chickens ..yet.. :)
i have to get them to sprout 1st..:)
we had a big storm here yesterday.. 2 tornadoes ..one touched down ..and high winds..heavy rain..
grateful for the rain..
wind was so strong..actually pushed one of my biggest potted titanums over..
its ok.. but..geesh.. the pot+plant probably weigh over 200 lbs..
had a concerned parent for awhile..:)

o

figured i need to measure "mr slow" hes 87 inches
(220 cm) tall above the pot now..
finally!! these plants grow to the beat of there own
drummers for sure..:)
it was so slow going..i think paint dried faster than "mr
slow" grew.. lol
i'll get a pic next couple days..
leaves are still together..so i'll loose some height
when the leaves unfurl and spread out..
whew.. it'll still fit in the house..:)
interesting aside..i was talking to a professional grower
of titanums last week..asked about the leaf size..
he said some of his tissue culture he got several yrs ago..had larger leaves. and has seen other titanums
(large ones) with slightly smaller leaves..
i checked out some kew has..some of there titanums have monster sized leaves..
found that interesting..i wonder if some of the breeding being done,tissue culture,seed,leaf cuttings.. are bringing out a wider variation in the gene pool..???

o

well "mr slow" certainly has surprised me..
heres pics..
nite temps are getting in mid/low 60sF so..this week..i will
be bringing in all the tropicals..
sigh..time to get neighbour kids help..lol

o

and another of "mr slow"

o

moved the titanums in the house..geesshh.."mr slows" pot busted the bottom out..LOL im sure it was around
250 pounds..
got the neighbour kid to help me..had to tip the pot
to get thru the door..LOL
they all fit.. this yr.. :)
none of the titanum seeds have popped up yet..
ive checked them..they are showing sprouting..so..i guess
im keeping them ok..
im curious to see the types of leaves i get.. the 12# corm..has MONSTER leaves.. "mr slow" has slightly smaller leaves.. the other titanums are in stages of vegy
growth.. i spoke with lou about the leaf size..he said some tissue cultures he got yrs ago..the leafed out plants from that culture had especially large leaves..
"mr slow' has put on some nice petiole girth.. i dont know if he will catch up with his cousin or not.. :)
i have 2 titanums in fabric pots.. so far..i like them..
i did have to water more often than plastic pots..if the
fabric pots do work out..it will be easy to get BIGGER fabric pots than plastic..for larger corms..

o

I'm getting a bit anxious to see mine. On my way home now but will be about another week getting there. Following the weather on the internet, average maximum temp. for September is 36.8C so far and no rain. Last rain was 20 mm back in May. Everything is relying on the automatic irrigation.

o

I don't envy that feeling!

Hope everything's done well...

My Titan is the only of my voodoo lilies that's not giving up for the season, I'm not ready, but got no choice!

I am excited to see what's hiding in the soil tho!

I've got a feeling my big konjac has really put on some weight!
The soil in the pot is heaving open, I can only assume that a beastly corm is to blame, won't be long now til I dig in and see what awaits me!

o

same here grab..
im planning on the titanums going thru spring 14..
all the other amorphs..of course will get unpotted soon..
we might get a frost this weekend..
none of the foliage has wilted yet though..
if your big konjac potting mix is heaving..i bet u did have
some good growth this last season..
make sure to take pics..
im hoping too with my larger konjac.. iv read some growers have gotten them as large as 30#.. that would
be one big corm!!! :)

o

??tropic..i would guess u r home now.. all the
plants ok?? hope so..
all my amorphs are unpotted ,washed..and in storage..
the "tropicals" are either dormant..1 hewittii is going
strong..about 4 ft tall and still good foliage..the 2 big
titanums are in good foliage too.. they did get sunburned
some from in to much sun..
i gotta put them in more shade..
im guessing titanums will ..hopefully.. stay in vegetative
stage for 6 months+ more.. and i get some nice corm
growth..that puts them out about april 2014..who knows
how long dormancy will be.. i guess it can be anywhere
from couple months..to alot longer..just have to play it
by ear..how they wanna go.. :)
i have 2 titanums in fabric pots.. i like them..they do
dry out faster than plastic pots.. but they are HEAVY DUTY.so im thinking they will last longer than the plastic
ones i use.. and the fabric pots i can get up over 1000
gallons.. thats a BIG pot.. course..it would have to go
in a greenhouse that size..LOL sigh..

o

Just to jump in on the a titanum fun, I am just starting my seeds, and they are starting to germinate now.

How long will it be until these can fully put out their first leaf?

o

very cool steve!! i have 10 seeds..ive been snoopin by
"carefully" digging to make sure seeds havent rotted..or sprouted.. 6 have sprouts ..but not breaking seedling mix..yet.. im finding with just a bit of sand on top of seedling mix ( hint given me from titanum grower) it keeps fluffy mix
in good contact with seed..i guess helps in seed germinating.. its working so.. :)
i'll post pics when shoots pop up.. :)
good luck to ya steve!!!!

o

Where did you manage to get your seeds from?

I have 6 germinated too, but they just don't seem to be growing at all. Do they just stay dormant for a long time? They look good, and they are in promix hp, but they just won't make any progress.

o

i got mine from lou ricciardiello..sells in my mind the best
quality titanum corms out there..but also because of his huge collection ..pollinates them and sells seed in season..
in my mind he ROCKS !! :)
ya..this is my 1st experience with seed..so im not alot of help to ya..ive speculated on this too..maybe like the corms.
when they are good and ready..then they take off..but i dont have anything to back that up.. my slowest corm to wake up..is HUGE now..it put on a foot a week when it did wake up.. it barely fit in the house this fall..sigh..LOL :)
hope others that have grown titanum seed post there experiences..id like to learn ..hint.. hint...

o

Do you have Lou ricciardiello's website or contact information? I would like to get some bulbs because these seeds may take forever to get me tubers of a decent size.

I just keep mine barely watered and under flourescents hoping they will grow. Perhaps they need to put out roots before sending out the leaf eh.

o

Never mind, I think I also got mine from him.

Now I just need to get some tubers just so I can get a flower much faster.

o

lou has some on ebay currently..i cant speak for him of course..but i doubt he will ship any corms until may 2014..his greenhouses r in NH..im guessing they are getting some cold weather by now.. but from my coorespondence with him..he is very gracious,considerate,and helpful..
good luck to ya on your seeds..if u get some insights hope u post here..i sure can learn alot ..
much thanks

o

Hi guys,
I'm contemplating buying some titanum seeds which brings a question.
What is their growth rate? Say, how long it is going to take them to become a problem? What size to expect after one year, two years?

Thanks.

o

im just starting with seeds..so others probably would have better info than me..most of my titanums started as corms..from 5# to 17#
question to ask yourself in growing titanums..
grown well..they will get big.. my 3 largest are just under 9
ft tall.. next growing season..im expecting near 11 ft..
do you have a place with that much height to grow them..
from seed .given the best of conditions..warmth,good(not strong light)good fertilizing.. i would think you could have a good sized corm (15-20#) in 4 yrs..?? again..i think i would rely on better growers than me on this..
if you r like me..i am always up for a challenge..:) so.. dont be deterred not trying titanum..
?? have you grown other amorphs? i got my feet wet with konjac.. i have to say..i did get some insights into successfully growing amorphs with konjac 1st.. konjac is very easy to grow..
let us know what u do.. good luck to ya !!!!

o

It is probably just one of those things when you don't realize that don't need it until you try it. Just want to tick this box off, make sure that I don't really need all the trouble with their uncertain dormancy cycle and size and settle on what I've already got which I'm quite happy with.

I'e got paeoniifolius, muelleri, 2 konjaks, bulbifer.
It is the first season that I have amorph.paeoniifolius and I'm already loving it more than any others.
It just loves full sun. It has already sprouted third stalk from one tuber. The tuber was about ping-pong ball when got it. Also I noticed that its leaves/leaflets have kinda leathery texture and fold when it is hot and unfold again when it is cooler.
All the others are alright as well but not as exciting because I messed them up last year so they are now in rebuilding phase.

Cheers

o

one thing u better watch out for bombardier.. growing these
plants is contagious..:) LOL
i have 100s of konjac,donzens of paeoniifolius ,11 titanum,a dozen titanum seeds in various stages of sprouting,still waiting for sprouting, 5 of the other "tropical" amorphs..and a growing collection of other amorph species..they are facinating plants,fun to grow,many times challenging, and i like that..hope you post some pics of your ever growing collection of plants..

o

Sorry I disappeared...holidays and health issues...

I'll catch up and contribute again...

Here's pappy, my konjac, sucker grew 5 inches in the last 24 hours, it'll stink soon...

o

wow..u have a konjac blooming now??? did u keep it in
a warmer spot this winter??
mine dont show any sign of life until late feb..usually march..
looks great man.. how big is that corm??
i hear ya with the growth.. i am always amazed how much growth they can put on in a single day..:)
whether flowering..or vegetative growth..
keep us posted..and pics.. hint ..hint.. :)

o

I just realized what a deceptive pic that is...
That pots not sitting on the ground...it's on a table...
Tuber weighed 2 pounds on the nose this time last year, 7 this year, pretty proud of that fact!

I did keep it in the house this year, as opposed to the attached and heat, but somewhat cooler conservatory last year.
The hope was to have him at full mast but Xmas!
It's a real pisser cuz the spike wasn't over a foot tall for the party, I knew it was close, I figured 2 weeks off from last years bloom speed...but he'll be stinkin tmrw I think...one week off basically.
Had I thought I had a shot at getting it so early I'd have really kept him hot and under the big cfl hood to push it...Oh well, better luck next year I hope.
Here's the pics in sequence...

o

Dec 24

o

Dec 31
11 am

o

Dec 31
11pm

It's not hard to tell it's grown, but it's now been measured to have grown almost exactly 4" in 12 hours...

o

Just for fun, here's Buford, under said big cfl hood, he's seemed to enjoy it you can see his upturned arms, indicating he's reaching toward the light, unlike when he wasn't gettin enough, and the branches stretched down so low he almost touched the rim of the pot, looking like a mushroom.

I worry everyday that he's gunna give it up and I'm gunna miss my shot at cuttings, I've just taken such poor care of my tender pups and propagators that I'm afraid I'll let em die if I cut em off now, I just keep sayin, another week, another week, and very well will keep saying that for another month, or another month...
I see signs that hes gettin close so I think I best get on it!

o

Wished I could smell it through the computer screen.

Konjacs are nice, but I personally prefer the titanums because of the size potential and thickness in the stem. I think it's cool to literally have a tree growing out of a massive tuber which happens to be only a single leaf.

o

super pics grab !!! and you did a fantastic job getting that corm from 2# to 7 # !!! way to go.. want to pass on any secrets for your success???? :)
i think i like all of the amorphs..for various reasons..
i do find titanum the most facinating..i havent flowered a corm... yet.. :) i know when i do..and i have 3 corms that could be 2 growth periods from flowering.. if i dont kill them..
i know seeing the plant ..i grew .. flower.. that will be very cool !!!!!!!!!
for me..it will be getting a large enough ..height.. greenhouse to house them .. and im talkin 2014 fall..winter..so..not far off..
im now thinking of renting a tall commercial greenhouse.. there are some in my area.. for me to put up a 16 ft tall greenhouse..its not going to happen this yr.. 2014.. what we do for our plants.. LOL
hope to see more pics of titanums... when my small ones
pop out of the potting mix..i'll get some pics posted..
hope everyone had a good,safe new yrs eve.....

o

If you have a house with an attic, you could simply change a section to have a higher ceiling and install windows on the south facing side which will solve the height problem eh.

Just wondering, how well do these plants adjust to stronger light once spring comes along and they go outdoors?

I have mine only under a weak led light, and intend to move them to 54 watt t5 light setup once they get bigger.

Here's a picture of my tallest ones so far.

o

steve..very cool seedlings!!! yea.. i have a few sprouting
i gotta get them in pots..i started them in starting mix..in a plastic bag on heat pad..:)
i do have an attic ..but so far..i have 4 big titanums..and
1 large hewettii.. good idea..
my titanums got alot of pretty strong summer sun last year..wow.it is last yr..its 2014 now..lol
i wont put them in so much sun when they go out in may..
there has been discussion on this..how much light is good for titanums..
as for your seedlings..im sure they will do fine under your T5 lights.. i have my big titanums (inside) in south facing window(its a big window.. 11 ft wideX 5ft tall) and with 5 double bulb T5 lights going 14 hrs a day.. and they seem to appreciate the light..
keep us posted on progress steve on your seedlings..
good luck..

o

I can't decide which amorphs are the coolest, size definitely counts but hell my konjac is as tall as my Titan and a spread nearly as wide, from a tuber half the size...
If it makes it to 30# it'll be massive!

Here's the pair, pappy the konjac was only a 2 pounder and made that leaf, while Buford the Titan was over 5#...

o

Here's Buford in his mushroom phase, he was hurtin for light!
It got much worse after this so I built that DIY light you see above...

It has a dozen 33-36w cfl's in there for an output of roughly 40,000 lumen...
A 400w hps would have been a better choice! As they, for the same amount of energy with output nearly twice the lumens!
The trade off is in the initial investment, the hps woulda cost 3x as much, and wouldn't have nearly as fun to build!

o

very cool pics and plants grab !!
im jealous..i dont have an enclosed porch,sun room like you.. sigh.. ?? how tall is the ceiling??
potting mix u have buford in..looks like alot of perlite??
do you like your potting mix?
what temps are you keeping that room at??
i see an alocasia in the room too.. looks like my backyard in summer.. :)

o

One question I've always wanted to ask, is towards the end of a leaf's life, couldn't you just take all the leaves to make cuttings, or would that result in a smaller tuber?

Mine haven't even put out leaves yet, but I think this plant is very cool and I like propagating cool plants.

o

good question steve.. im still practicing at successfully starting seedlings from leaf cuttings..
only thing i could see as a problem with using leaves when the parent plant is ending its vegy stage and petiole wilts..then dormancy.. is.. the leaves may not be of quality for doing cuttings on..
i look at my 3 largest titanums..there are alot of leaves there..even the smaller one..its 40inches tall..and it has alot of leaves..
i also found with 2 of my big titanums..they come from a
strain that sports HUGE leaves.. 11-13 inches long..
the leaf cuttings i tried on them..didnt go well..:(
on smaller leaves..they are doing better..
i dont know if id want to strip the parent plant of all its leaves .. good question for those out there with ALOT more experience with that than me..

o

I believe with this plant, leaf cuttings would have to stay under relatively high light because more photosynthesis would be needed, humidity to keep the leaf from drying out, and a rooting hormone to stimulate root growth.

I believe honey may work in terms of keeping away infections, and potentially as a source for starches. I'm far from the point of doing it, but my goal is to have a titanum tree with a diameter of a foot some day.

o

The ceilings low!

My mix was only around 1/3-1/4 perlite, it just constantly makes it's way to the top, hateful stuff, I think I'll prepare a top dressing for next year, I guess it'll need sterilizing too...
The other amorphs performed very well in this mix, and Buford has seemed happy enough, i do keep him rather dry, and humidity only runs at around 30% lol, so they can certainly handle dryness!

That's actually my garage in that pic, he withstood some very cool 45-50 degree stents in there before I moved him on inside, doesn't seem to have bothered him as far as I can tell.

o

lol..your garage looks like my basement..:)
great looking EE's man !!!!
?? whats the reddish/purple colocasia/alocasia on left side of pic?? thats a really attractive plant!!!! i gotta get me some of them...
your big colocasia on right looks like it has flowers..???yes??
steve..wow..thats a great goal for a HUGE MONSTER titanum.. you know thats gonna be a TALL plant.. :) hehehe.. i know the one up in canada at muttart conservatory..i think its 13" diameter..and over 15 ft tall..
theres was a 240# corm starting fall 2012..it flowered spring 2013..its now in vegy growth..

o

wow..no one chatting... ????
i did take a shower... LOL
im very anxious to see how one of my largest titanums
did..or more so..how i did in growing it.. one is now
going into dormancy.. the petiole just slumped over the other day.. im guess will take another week or so to completely wilt.. then..i get to unpot and see how the corm looks..
ok..i did poke around in the pot.. didnt unbury it..but felt the corm..and its firm..so.. hopefully thats a good sign..
hows everyone elses titanums doing this winter???

o

My larger titanum is dormant this summer so I expect it will start off again this coming spring. Seems to like growing alternate years. I've read sometimes they do a 3 year dormancy, certainly hope mine never does that. The 2 seedling ones (couple of years old) are still going well. I took a leaflet off each one and potted them. Hopefully by the end of the season there'll be 2 more plants.

Been getting a lot of rain this month. Last week got just under 200 millimetres in 2 hours. So far for January I've had over 600 mm of rain. The dormant titanum is sitting in its pot out in the weather. I ended up putting a lid over part of the top of the pot to reduce the amount of rain getting in. I want some rain to get in, it's highly oxygenated water. But don't need the amount that's been falling lately.

o

I really doubt there's a need for 3 year dormancies if the conditions for vernalization are met.

o

wish we would get some snow/rain here..we got some start of winter and nada lately..
i plan to take some leaf cuttings from couple smaller leaf
titanums..i took some from couple of my large titanums..but the leaves were so big.they didnt take..so im hoping i'll be more sucessful with smaller leafed ones..
i havent read any detailed comparisons/studies on variations found in titanum..but i know grower i got my largest titanum corms..has several "varieties"..he starts all his from seed..but gets seed from many sources..
the large leafed ones i have..put out nearly 13" ( 33 cm)
long..seems like a long leaf..lol

o

Stevelau1911, not sure how you can relate "conditions for vernalization" to growing titanums, they're an equatorial plant.

Dave, of the 2 leaflets I potted, the older one is now showing signs of senescence. It was over 6 months old whereas the other is closer to 2 months old. The leaflets are large so hope the nutrients in the ageing one are going towards a tuber, even if it's going to be very small. Probably younger leaflets are the best way to go.

o

hey to my buddie down under..:)
wish we had just a hint of your weather here..sigh..
its what i get for living here..lol
i wanna do some titanum leaf cuttings this week..
made some room for heat pad,and couple covered trays..
like i need more titanums..LOL.. but..its the experimentation and see if i can do it..
large titanum thats wilted..sure is taking its own sweet time wilting.. im not in any hurry..just really want to see what the corm looks like.. that'll tell me how i did growing the plant ..

o

I want to get several plants going so I can put some out in the garden. We do have nematodes, but there are thousands of species of them and I'm hoping that perhaps the one that likes titanums isn't here. But I'll only try it with "extra plants".

o

hope titanums can fight off any soil nematodes there!!! and u end up with a forest of titanums..:)
i finally got to unpot and check out wilted titanum..
yea..i didnt kill it..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL geesh there were a TON of roots on the corm..
only thing..i cant remember what sized corm this was when i planted it..LOL
i am all out of pine bark..so ive got to get to box store and get some bags ..i have good amount of pumice still..
and soil additives i put in when i pot up..
only thing..this new corm is gonna need a bigger pot..than one it was in..so that tells me..maybe i did get a larger corm from last growing season...?? anyways..
i have a "fabric pot" 80 gal size comming this week..im sure if i keep corm warm,and barely damp..it'll hang in there till i get new pot..
so far..ive liked using these "fabric pots".. and..i can get them in BIG sizes..which i need.. and i havent been sucessful in finding BIG heavy duty plastic pots..
i'll take some pics tomorrow..and post..
BIG pots

o

A pot that size you obviously won't be able to move. Better make sure it's in the right place before you set it up.

Just got home tonight (after being away at work) and there's been a lot of rain. Even though I mostly covered the pot with the largest (dormant) tuber, the soil is still very wet. Probably have to completely cover the pot. Going by its usual cycle it still has another 8 months of dormancy. Of course, in its habitat it wouldn't be unusual for it to be sitting in soggy soil during dormancy.

o

ya..i think im gonna have 4 big potted titanums this growing season..oh my aching back..LOL :)
heres a couple pics of the corm i just unpotted..
i couldnt believe the roots on it still..
the corm is only 9 inches ( 22 cm) across..but the roots make it look alot bigger..

o

heres another pic of same corm

o

got the pots,and bark nuggets..so..now its potting time..
just rain here today..so i can go outside and pot this one up..without freezing the corm..or me..LOL ..sure thinkin climate u have tropic would be nice..:)
also have a hewettii corm to unpot..the leaf completely fell over couple weeks ago..but base of petiole is still hanging on..so i havent been very agressive to unpot..but i am curious to see how it did.. christmas again!!! lol

o

I guess it's about time to share pictures of my largest ones. They are by a south facing window and I'm looking forward to their progress when it warms back up to bring them outdoors.

o

very cool steve!!! so how old are these babies then??
looks like u cover the potting mix with plastic wrap..?? does the potting mix dry out to fast otherwise??

o

The ones in this picture are about 3 months old from seed. Most of them appear to just lack vigor perhaps due to lack of light and heat that you would experience under full sun during summer, but these are doing fairly exceptional under south facing window light.

The soil would dry out within a few good hours of sun without the plastic wrap which is the reason why I have it there.

o

wow..almost a whole month and no one posting???
its still early i guess for any titanum growth..i guess..
i do have one of my large titanums that looks like its starting dormancy.. and one in earlier pic..has petiole
bud starting to come alive..
my titanums are all over the place in growth.. lol..
i remember posting here or other garden blog . "do you think
you can control active vegetative growth time"... mmmm..
i think ive answered my won question.. NOPE>>>>
:) i am thinking once the corm gets to 14+ pounds.. (northern hemisphere) they follow seasonal growing cycle.. sort of.. i have one smaller corm.. started at 8#, and its been growing now for well over a year.. and shows no sign of waning.. i wonder how long it'll go..
then tallest of titanums.is going strong..no sign of dormancy.. its the sleepy one..it took its own sweet time
to get going..then when it did..it shot up like a rocket..
im anxious to see how i did in growing it..the new corm..and roots..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here