Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dracunculus vulgaris-bloom, no foliage?

Posted by vabeachygal (My Page) on
Tue, May 1, 07 at 19:53

I bought my 'voodoo lily' last year when it had foliage. It over wintered just fine, came up (I'm sure I was the talk of the neighborhood) but it was just the big fat stem and the flower. no foliage. what do I do now? do I cut it back? just let it die back and wait for the foliage? I can't just leave it sticking out of the ground like it is now!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dracunculus vulgaris-bloom, no foliage?

Vabeachygal

This is a terrific plant

I purchased a bulb of this years ago. Now have several of them
I put the bulbs the first couple of years in huge pots that I bring in over winter (to the basement sitting dry and in the dark mostly)
Doing it this way I only get the leaves and not the bloom. THe leaves are striking and make me happy to see them growing in containers
But for two of the years I left some bulbs outside in a sheltered spot in Ballantrae Ontario Two of them, in late April bloomed. Was neat to see them but boy did they ever stink and flys and bugs where around the plant all the time Smelled like rotten meat.
I have moved a couple of times, recently and so have the bulbs only in the large tubs now I came home from wintering in FLorida about two weeks ago and one of the tubs although still in the basement and very dry had a bloom just about finished from the bulb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here