Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafhead

New Addition

Leafhead
10 years ago

Arisaema sikokianum is one of the few Aroids hardy to the Midwest, but it undoubtedly the most beautiful. I don't know which is more captivating-the silver and green leaf or the brilliant white spathe with mushroomlike spadix. It is a long blooming species and stays up all summer, sporting orange red berries in the fall. I found one of these beauties at the Farmer's Market last weekend and planted it near the house in the shade.
I have native Jacks growing in the "Weed Garden", and they're nothing like this one!!
As a long time Aroid collector, I have missed the selection of Aroids I could grow in South Florida.
This fascinating Arisaema has definitely filled a void.

Comments (6)

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

Wow at the farmers market!
    My markets sure not like that, not since I left it haha
    Mind me asking what size it is and what price?

They certainly are a nice aroid, very sad there's do few people interested and growing this group, their needs are so basic, they're quite cold hardy, and very attractive group.
    My only qualm is the price and lack of availability...I doubt I would have passed on one at the market either!

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I don't think there's any Arisaemas that will grow here. I remember looking up the genus years back when I first heard of it, but gave up the idea of looking for them.

• Leafhead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got it from a garden ctr called the Flower Factory. A 4" pot cost me $13 and some change. It is probably a year or two from blooming. In Kentucky, you also have a wider range of Arisaemas to choose from, some fragrant. Some varieties available over the Internet include:
    As. costatum, flavum (pleasantly fragrant), griffithii, kishidae, wattii and dracontium.
    They're a little on the pricey side, but most should find Kentucky to their liking.
    A little too cold up in WI here for most listed above.
    Tropicbreeze,
    When I lived in So Fla I remember growing Dracontiums and Typhonium trilobata. Also, Spathicarpa sagitifolia .They were fascinating plants that reminded me of Arisaemas. They are easily cared for and easily propagated.

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

Again Wow, 13 bucks I'd have been on that one too!

I'm lucky in the sense that, yes, I can grow lots of arisaema, but I have yet to see a single offered locally, while I sell plants on eBay, the plants I recieve from there have been extremely small and overpriced, unlike what I sell myself!
    So I've always been hesitant to order any, I may have found a reasonable source for next year and I'm trying it!
    It's through a freind of a freind but I trust them just fine, and the prices, from what I've heard are unbelievably low, although the ids on the plants are not alway right, the price is right and he says the plants are always very nice plants, even if mismarked...

I've got native jacks around the creek in the back but they never set seed, and the overburden from the neighborhood being constructed was all pushed over onto the creek, decimating the flora, some is finally creeping back thru seed, the jacks on the other hand simply pushed thru the additional feet of soil, I've tried to dig a few and give around 2 feet! No signs of bulbs...
    One of them had finally gotten some size to it, all are larger than they were 4 yrs ago, but one has managed to get up to size and produce 2 leaves on a 10' tall stem. Atleast they are happy, and I certainly have the habitat for more.

• johnsonm08
    10 years ago

Leaf-have you been out to the flower factory?
    The also have a. urashima , and dracontium out there. I wish I had a spot for them here. Good old symplocarpus skunk cabbage too.
    Mike

• Leafhead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's one of my favorite sources for unusual plants and butterfly flora. They're pricey, but they carry a lot of things no one else has. And Dave, the owner, is very knowledgeable.

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor