Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nychris_gw

Anyone EverOrdered from Malesiana Tropicals??

nychris
18 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has ever odered plants from this place..Curious if there plants are what they say they are...And how there expirence was with them?

For example..They have the "Colocasia gigantea" listed for sale and

Plant Delights has the same one listed as "Colocasia gigantea Thailand Giant Strain"..It actually is the same picture of it on both websites just different people standing in front of it..lol

Just wondering

Thanks

Chris

Comments (18)

• jon1949
    18 years ago

Hi Chris, Yes i have ordered from them.I had heard i was a nightmare with shipping and customs etc.I think that was a rumor started by plant sellers who don't want anyone to find out how easy it is.It took one week to get a U.S. permit(free and not months to receive).Shipping is no problem.I would order more than you need because some will die during shipping.Good luck john

• randy_e
    18 years ago

In my case it was no rumor... it was a nightmare. I got a letter from the USDA in California stating that the shipment of plants had an insect infestation and was sent back. Upon trying a second time the USDA in California called me up saying that the plants were intercepted and had to be returned due to being shipped in a non-approved growing medium. I did get a prompt refund due to some of the plants being out of stock for a 3rd try. It was a large order... maybe a smaller order would have better luck.
    Randy

• raymikematt
    18 years ago

Some orders come in OK, others not so good. Harry and I have ordered a few times with mixed results but resent all plants that arrived DOA. A great company with extremely rare plants IMO.
    And yes, the plants are what they say they are. Peter Boyce, who works for Malesiana, is one of the top experts in Araceae.
    Michael M.

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Where are MY bananas? You don't need any kind of certification to send your end of the trade to Texas. 2 months later I am still waiting! You got your plants with no problem. You initiated the trade. At least have the decency to hold up your end.

• honeybunny442
    17 years ago

I had one order confiscated, one that came with rotted plants (they still owe me $100, which I will never see!) and one that came with a huge box that was 1/3 to 1/2 filled with small plants, you can imagine how they fared being tossed around in the box.

• arumgrande
    17 years ago

Hi to everybody,
    have a look at their rating at Garden Watchdog

Bye
    hermann

Here is a link that might be useful: only 1 comment

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

This sounds like the Malaysian branch office of The Nursery at Ty Ty (Georgia). I never order from overseas because of quarantines, delays, etc. You have to factor foreign mailing, agricultural inspections by shipping country and incoming coming country into your order time period. You must realize that sometimes it take TOO long to ship within the good ol' USA by US Postal Service.

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

I import thousands of bulbs/tubers/rhizomes every year but this company is a complete JOKE!! They shipped a bunch of dead Amorphs and some nearly dead Alocasia....I was really pissed and they would not give me my money back....I asked them to send seed of the Amorphs as I figured I could grow them just as well from seed as they can....they said they would and did not ever send them!! No one should order from these guys unless you want a bunch of junk plants that are way too small to waste your time on assuming they arrive alive at all.

You should not give up on reputable overseas sources, but I would not consider this company to be one of the reputable ones. It is a shame as they have a worlds expert on aroids working for them, but I suppose even he can not make up for crappy plants and horrible customer service! Dan

• minibim
    17 years ago

Yeah, add me as another one with the same experience as Bluebonsai, Honeybunny etc.

Promised me replacements if I placed another order, which I did - only at that point they just quit responding to emails. I did however get my money back, the nice thing about using a Visa card; file a dispute with them.

It is really a shame since they have some truly rare plants. All they need to do is let them grow a little before sending. Heck as tiny as what they send, they oughta just send the petri dish and we can watch them grow.

• phymatarum
    14 years ago

Dear All,

Although this thread is now old and dusty, thought it worth to put the record straight and say that I quit Malesiana Tropicals nearly 2 years ago, in the main for many of reasons mentioned above. While I am still Sarawak-based, and very active with aroids, I am in no longer associated with MT in any way.

Very best

Peter

• chris_e_uk
    14 years ago

I ordered from this company a while ago and received all my plants which were mainly Alocasia (about 12) in perfect condition with no problems at all and they are all still thriving several months later and would not have a problem using again, very unusual Alocasia not available anywhere else.

• bluebonsai101
    14 years ago

Perhaps the constant complaining about how poor a company they were finally got their attention and they decided to start sending out decent plants.......complaints work after awhile on most companies!!

Peter, I just assumed you were still with them, but good for you to clear that up for your own reputation :o) Dan

• exoticrainforest
    14 years ago

Mike, you should know that Pete Boyce is no longer with Malenesia. Otherwise I'd say they are a great company and many members of the International Aroid Society have ordered from them with good results. Pete is strictly working as a botanist in the forests of Malaysia.

• lariann
    14 years ago

In the past, I've ordered from them several times and although the plants arrived in OK shape after customs delays, as of today's date not one plant survived. I don't know if they had lethal systemic pathogens from that part of the world or what, but every one of them ended up rotting away horribly, even after a good start. I do not recommend getting any plants from an overseas source unless you don't mind losing all of them over time. It may be that the long overseas trip is just too much for them. Seeds are another story, as you can get some success with seeds.

Also, glad to know that Pete Boyce has joined the forum. I've tried emailing Pete many times and never heard back - don't know if he has a problem with me or what!

LariAnn
    Aroidia Research

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroidia Research

• raymikematt
    14 years ago

^^Steve ;)...I think my post was from 2005 when Pete was still there...lol. Actually my experience with the company was pretty good considering I was ordering from overseas. Pete is a great guy, an expert on Araceae and is willing to help un-educated aroiders like myself ID plants, write articles and just about anything else.
    Not sure about how the company is run but it was always a delight dealing with Pete!

• exoticrainforest
    14 years ago

I realized that about 2 seconds after I hit the button! It didn't take a few seconds to see Pete's post but it was way too late then! Keep on posting though! You give excellent advice.

• phymatarum
    14 years ago

Hi LariAnn,

I suspect that your emails may have gone astray as I have changed address a couple of times in the past few years. Rest assured I have no problem with you, and would welcome an email correspondence.

Very best

Pete phymatarum@gmail.com

• SmokyMist
    12 years ago

I know this is an old post, but...it is one I found from trying to find feedback on this company.
    My son , placed a large $500 order with them in February for carnivorous plants to start a business with. Honestly, it was all he had , and here we sit, no plants. They were shipped out on the 17th of March, and it is now April 13th. There is no tracing the package via usps. Malasiana did email him to tell him they tracked the package somehow to a fish and wildlife person, gave us the guys' name and phone number, and although we have called twice, he has not returned a call. Malasiana claims he had a problem with their paperwork, and that in all their years of business they have never had this happen.
    So now what, my son is out $500 ? If the package arrives, we still have to pay customs on it, so that will be another $100 just to open to the box and see if everything is dead ? This is SO dissapointing, and I feel like they are ripping us off. We have nothing, and they have all of our money !

Sponsored