Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soft spot on Colocasia Esculenta

Posted by ces797 6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 21:51

I have a large size Colocasia Esculenta "bulb" that is roughly the size of a small cantaloupe. I wanted big, huge leaves so I figured I would get the biggest bulb I could find. I've had it in a small terracotta pot indoors for about a month to get it started. I've kept it moderately moist to ward of rotting. The weather is getting into the 70's, 80's so I figured now was a good time to put it in a larger pot outside. When I was transplanting it I saw several growths all around the bulb as well as a moderate amount of roots. I also noticed a dime sized area on the size of the bulb that was soft.(when I squeezed the spot some liquid came out) I've read that as the offshoots begin to mature the "mother" bulb will turn to mush but I'm still worried that this small soft spot may rot the entire thing. Is this completely normal or should I get ready to go get another bulb?

Thanks for you help
Curtis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soft spot on Colocasia Esculenta

I would clean out the spot (i.e. get all the mush out down to solid tissue) wash it with clean water, then dry the spot and apply cinnamon powder to it, pressing the powder into the wound. Then plant it.

LariAnn
Aroidia Research

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here