Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xavier_cugat

A konjac help

Xavier_Cugat
17 years ago

Hello,

I purchased a konjac off of ebay last year and it grew with sucess, producing one large tuber and three tiny ones. When the two large tubers leaves fell off, I brought them in and set them on the shelf at home with the intention of putting them ijn the garage after they dried out--but i never did. I forgot to put them out and they have been in the 68 degree house all winter. Should I put them in the fridge for a month to force them, or just wait?

I had a problem with rot last year Should i wait for the plant to sprout before planting--what will make it sprout besides forcing?

thanks for your help

Comments (8)

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

Do not put it in the cold garage, do not put it in the fridge....you did exactly what you were supposed to do!! Remember, these are tropical plants and do not see 4C (your fridge) in their native environment!! Just let it sit where it is and wait until you see the nub in the middle starting to grow then plant it or pot it up like last year and leave it be....these need no water at all to get above soil level....once it has come up water as usual and enjoy the leaf. Best of luck :o) Dan

• greenthumbgardener
    17 years ago

I store the bare tubers in my basement until I pot them in spring. last year I forgot one of them until I noticed an awful smell in the corner. There it was, blooming its fool head off in the dark corner of my basement.

• ARUM
    17 years ago

Hah! This is the third post of yours DAn I have read! So because they are tropical they don't need cold? Wow, what an easy bulb to grow! :) arum

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

I store mine in the basement simply because of a room issue, not because they need any cold. My basement stays around 50F at the lowest so this is not a problem. Once I notice them breaking dormancy I bring them upstairs to they have more warmth and start growing a bit sooner in the year. The only problem I find with many species of Amorph is sometimes they do not wake up until Aug. or even Sept. and then I'm toast since they can not grow long enough to replace their tuber and I lose them. I've got two seed heads on my konjac right now.....just thought it would be fun to see a bunch of bright red berries.....they are still green, but getting large :o) Dan

• ARUM
    17 years ago

Dan, when we moved in this house we didn't realise that the downstairs bedroom didn't have insulation! It's cold as--------, well it's COLD in there! Anyway, I always put the bulbs in there, but it's good to know that I can display them where my friends can see their weirdness. :) Never had seeds before, is their something special you do, or do you just need two to bloom at once?

• ARUM
    17 years ago

Dan, when we moved in this house we didn't realise that the downstairs bedroom didn't have insulation! It's cold as--------, well it's COLD in there! Anyway, I always put the bulbs in there, but it's good to know that I can display them where my friends can see their weirdness. :) Never had seeds before, is their something special you do, or do you just need two to bloom at once?

• bluebonsai101
    17 years ago

Hi Arum,

You need 2 different clones of the same species to get seed on most Amorphs,with a few exceptions like bulbifer. I simply collected the pollen from clone 1 and put it in the fridge and waited a week until clone 2 was ready to go and then applied the pollen and seed set. It is pretty trivial at least on konjac. They are ready for pollen when they start to stink and then release their own pollen a couple of days later when they are no longer looking to be pollinated.....so you can fertilize one and then a few days later collect its pollen to fertilize another clone. I'll post a pic of the infructescence when it ripens completely :o) Dan

• ARUM
    17 years ago

Sounds interesting. I may try that, although mine have already bloomed. There's always next year. :)