Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Konjac

Posted by Xavier_Cugat (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 05 at 23:36

Hi,
I bought a 2.5inch konjac tuber from ebay
when i got it i planted it in a pot and watered it only once a week for two weeks. After contacting the person i got it from they gave me instructions that said not to water it at all till it started sprouting. I waited a little while longer but then grew concerned and dug it up--and sure enought the base of the bulb was a bit mushy. Horrified, i took it out of the pot and have had it sitting dry on a shelf for about a week. Now the whole bulb is firm--though a bit damaged underneath.When i dug it out it looked as if the stem had grown a tiny bit upward, but no noticable progress since What should i do now, and what is the correct growing procedure? I hope my bulb has not bit the dust!
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Konjac

When it's "ready" you'll notice 'root buds' beginning to grow in sort of a halo around the base of the big bud. You can plant it right now in *slightly* moist soil- But don't water it at all untill it starts to grow. WHen it does, you'll know.

leave the tip pokin' up a little if you want- easier to see it growing, but once it does bury the whole thing under a few inches of dirt.

o
RE: Konjac

Konjac is about as easy as it comes with amorphophallus.

What you might want to do is dab the area that molded with a bit of diluted rubbing alcohal .. and then let it dry just to make sure everything is nice and dead.

Like Krstofer said you may want to wait til you see root buds forming on the base of the shoot.

I dont know what your growing conditions are, but I know here in seattle we are still mildly cold and rainy..Someone gave me a tip about actually starting the bulb in a pot indoors. plant it about 2 inches down and give it just enough water to make the soil moist not wet.. and wait til shoot breaks the surface.. then put it outside in a nice sunny spot..

Chris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here