Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_c_gw

is this an anthurium?

lynn_c
17 years ago

I've had this plant for at least 10 years. It wasn't in bloom when I recieved it and it has never bloomed for me. A few times it has sent up 'shoots' (for lack of a better term)that looked like they might bloom but those shoots always withered and died. The leaves have always done pretty well. It's been a tought plant, bouncing back after bouts of neglect. I'm now trying to do the right thing and take proper care of it. But since I'm not even sure about what kind of plant it is, that's proving rather difficult.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

{{gwi:385951}}

{{gwi:385953}}

This last pic shows a problem that I'm having. I'm not sure what should be done about this. Does this section need to be seperated and replanted deeper?

{{gwi:385955}}

Comments (4)

• randy_e
    17 years ago

It's a Homalonema.

• lynn_c
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the input. Now I know, after all this time, what kind of plant I have. I guess it's kind of sad that I've waited this long to try to learn about it. Better late than never, I suppose.
    I have to say, it's been a tough plant. And now I know why I've never seen blooms. After some Googling, I'm thinking this may be an 'Emerald Gem'. Looks like they are grown for foliage. Those 'shoots' that I'd seen in the past were probably the extent of the blooms that this plant will produce. I was hoping for a showy spathe, like an anthurium. But this is a nice plant and it is special to me, as it was from my Dad's funeral. I take it that these things are rather long lived since I've now had it for over 10 years.

I guess my only remaining question is what to do about this:

{{gwi:385955}}

Should I divide that part from the rest of the plant and replant it deeper so that the brown part is below the soil? Then, I imagine the roots will be even further down. Is that a problem?

Thanks again for the help.

• bihai
    17 years ago

Its not a "problem", its just a natural way some aroids grow over time. Some eventually form trunks.

• lynn_c
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, I had no idea. The only thing is that it gets a little floppy when it's like that. I guess I can always stake it if need be.
    Thanks for letting me know.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner