Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

Can amorph ongsakulii pollen be stored?

rredbbeard
9 years ago

I have 2 tubers of amorphophallus ongsakulii starting to flower,� and I'm concerned that the blooming period of the two may not overlap. I'd like to produce seed if possible. Is it feasible to brush some pollen from the first to open, and save it to pollinate the later flower? Has anyone done this themselves? If I store the pollen in the fridge at 2--3`C, will this kill the pollen?

Thanks,

--Rick in CT

Comments (4)

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

I've heard of Amorphophallus pollen being stored but don't know at which temperature. Because the temperature you're suggesting won't be at freezing point and the second inflorescence probably won't be all that far behind the first it should be okay. And the other thing is you might as well do it because if you don't try storing you definitely won't get anything. Good luck with it.

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I have a definitive answer from a master gardener contact at the local university, regarding amorph pollen storage. Stored moist in a fridge, it should remain viable for a few weeks, however at -80ðF, that time is greatly extended.
    I've learned more about arum flower structure at the same time. I mistakenly thought the top of the spadix held the male flowers, and the females were the red lumps just below that. In fact, the top of the spadix is sterile, and the red lumps are the males. If you pull the spathe back a little, the female flowers can just be seen. I attached a picture of my first ong flower, and I'll post a picture of a titan arum inflo in my next post. (I can only post 1 pic at a time on this smartphone. )

I used a cat whisker to try to coax some pollen from ongsakulii flower #1. The pollinia seem few and far between, and not surprisingly, almost microscopic. Using a jeweler's loop, It looked like there was something on the whisker, and I did my best to transfer it to flower #2, where the spathe has just opened. Who knows? I can't detect any scent either, regardless of the time of day. I'll keep trying 2x or 3x a day. Compulsively could be rewarded?

1) Does anyone know if the first day of the spathe opening is the one day that the female flowers are receptive?
    2) Is amorph pollen usually so sparse?

I'll post a happy dance too if any of this works! Titan arum inflos in the next message.

Rick in CT

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a cutaway from a failed titan arum inflo, showing the female flowers at the bottom, males in the middle, and the sterile 'appendage' at the top.

This post was edited by rredbbeard on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 11:26

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I contacted a master gardener at the local university,àand was told that they store amorph pollen at -80ðF, and its viability extends at least a year. In a home freezer, viability would be substantially less, but it works for my purposes.ÃÂ

I used my trusty cat whisker to transfer pollen from the first flower, which was at its last day, to the 2nd flower, which had just opened. The pollen was barely detectable using a jeweler's loop, but I went through the motions anyway even tho I wasn't sure I was transferring anything worthwhile.ÃÂ I followed this ritual 2 or 3 times daily for 2 days.

The 1st flower looked quite dead on its 3rd day, and crumbled on the 4th day after opening, and I'm happy to report that the second flower is faded but alive after 5 days, picture attached. Now comes the waiting--not easy in this age of instant gratification! I'll keep you posted.

--Rr

Sponsored