Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onikid

New here... and wondering about bublifer/titanum

onikid
15 years ago

So I just joined... spent that last week reading up old topics and reading about the different issues and species people have. So I finally decided to join. :D

I first got interested in the A. plants when I first "met" Mr. Stinky in Fairchild Tropical during his second bloom (and also went back for his third). It was shortly thereafter I got my own (a few kinds of which I can't recall the name of, and one bulbifer)... been growing them for some years now.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions/comments... so first thing's first: the bulbifer.

It's been leafing out for a while now, and after moving to a new place I realized it started growing again just last week. After it got to about a foot, it seemed to slow down in growth. I'm not really worried about that, but just wondering: Is there a way to tell if you're getting a leaf or a flower? It hasn't opened the second... um, sheath/covering yet, so I don't know what's coming out that last "cover." Just wondering if there's a way to know about what's coming ahead of time.

I've repotted it when I realized it was just starting to get out of dormancy, and the tuber was smaller than last year, probably by about a quarter to over half. Is that a sign of anything (I wonder heard sometimes the tuber shrinks a bit when it's producing a flower that year rather than a leaf).

The second question refers to titanums: Is there a good reliable place to get them. I want to grow one (I want my own Mr. Stinky ;D), even if it's a seedling or if it's just starting to grow, and hopefully not super expensive. Any recommendations? I've wanted one for some time, and was waiting for the right time where I knew I had time to dedicate myself to caring for it. Any leads to get one would be great! :)

Thanks, and hope to see you folks around.

Comments (3)