Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID

Posted by drvongirl 7B WA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 3:20

Hi, I am usually on the houseplant forum. I have a plant that they feel is an aroid and that someone here might be able to identify it. Can you help and tell me how big this plant can become? Thanks Ellen

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID

Ellen,

I can confirm that your plant is an aroid, but it is a juvenile version of whatever it actually is. My first impression was that it is a very young Philodendron bipinnatifidum (selloum), and if so, it will grow quite large if given enough space and light. As I stated, though, it is still juvenile and so I cannot be certain until it grows some more.

LariAnn
Aroidia Research

Here is a link that might be useful: Philodendron bipinnatifidum

o

LariAnn, can I ask that you download the photo and enlarge it?

I do see a petiolar sheath (looks like "wings" at the base
of the petiole (what most people call a stem), as well as a sulcus (a canal at the top of the petiole) but these don't appear to be like Philodendron bipinnatifidum since the upper surface of the petiole is not flattened. I blew the stem of the plant (the base) quite large and it does not appear to be a "tree Philodendron" (Meconostigma) so I'm not sure about that ID.

Additionally, the juncture of the leaves and the petiole don't look right but I have zero idea what this species might be. The upper leaf surface is deeply recessed at the point where the petiole and leaf join. It is certainly interesting and I'd like to know the ID.

If we could see a photo of the lower surface of the leaf blade as well as a good photo of the base of the plant that could certainly help.

Steve

o

I think we are going to find that this is a Homalomena.
I base this solely on the basic appearance and growth habit of the plant. The venation looks right but I am unfamiliar with the undulate margin. Could be a new cultivar either named or unnamed. I'm looking around now to see if I can come up with more.

Scott

o

Sounds right to me Scott. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what I can find as well.

I grow an grand total of one single Homalomena in my atrium and know little about the genus.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here