Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arum_gw

I'm Ariod Free!!

ARUM
16 years ago

Well,I'm on to a new faze. The Aroid forum is what brought me to GW in the first place,but the only aroid I have now is Jack in the Pulpit. It had to happen, the love affair has lasted for about five years though. Will I ever tire of Morning Glories? I hope not. If my husband finds out I got rid of my last Amorphophallus Kojak, I'm in trouble. He really liked them. I loved them, but they grew tiresome. Thanks to all who contributed to my obsession. :) Arum

Comments (15)

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now if I could just spell Ariod. :)

• greenelbows1
    16 years ago

Sorry to lose you, arum! Enjoy your morning glories. But why can't you enjoy both? I'm not as smart as you are--when I get a new obsession I (usually) keep the old. You're smart, now I think about it!

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Greenelbows,I've had many tropical bulbs over the years, and I guess I just got tired of storing,planting, and digging them up. Aroids certainly are fascinating, I just can't seem to get back there. Thank you for your comment. :) Arum

• philofan
    16 years ago

Ah, but there are some aroids you don't have to dig up...philodendrons and anthuriums for example.

• bluebonsai101
    16 years ago

Hi Arum, While I have not gotten rid of all of mine I must admit that the reason I post so little here anymore is that I got rid of most of mine as well....still have a lot of Arisaema of course, but the Amorphs all started to look about the same so most have gone to other homes where they can be appreciated more. Once you've seen a couple dozen big stinky influorescences you've sort of seen them all I guess!! I still have some of my favorites in the Amorph genus of course, and I still just love my Dracontium...especially prancei which is just such an amazing trooper. I also got a couple of new Pseudodracs to see how they turn out so I'm still dabbling. I've moved on in a big way to South African and South American amaryllids....still no hybrids allowed though.

I did get my first ever Philo awhile back....a guy in Brasil sent me a cutting....said it was something called Burl Marx?? So far it seems about as easy a plant to grow as there is....I got it with one leaf and now it has 5....and the leaves are a pretty irridescent greyish/bluish/greenish sort of color....now you know why I am not a botanist :o) Dan

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Dan, you are one of the main ones I have to thank, for answers to my silly questions about ariods and such. It was fun. You have talent in growing many things, and I'm sure you will be happy in those fields. Thanks again. :)

• rubbleshop
    16 years ago

Quote:-"I guess I just got tired of storing,planting, and digging them up."

Why not simply move to a hotter place to avoid having to do that. For heaven sake don't do anything really radical like giving them up when you could simply move or emigrate to a warmer clime!

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well rubbelshop, even I think Aroids are special, but not enough to pick up and move just so I can grow em eaiser. :) And by the way, I just found two Kojak's growing in my flower bed! Their stalking me! :) Arum

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

"Kojak"=Konjac??

Kojak---> bald detective,
    Konjac---> Purple blooming Amorphophallus.

Kt

• arumgrande
    16 years ago

Hi Arum, hi Dan,
    it's a pity to loose you!

Arum - your spelling of aroids is a kind of selective commemoration.

And aren't Morning Glories to be sowed every season in your climate?

As I found out while US-googling:
    "The seeds of some species were used by Aztecs for their hallucinogenic properties, thus Morning Glories are sometimes known as native LSD."
    http://www.floridata.com/tracks/transplantedgardener/ViciousVines.cfm
    (Was the first hit of the images search!)
    Hope you are on the right way!

Bye

hermann

• ARUM
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hermann, niver wus gud at spelling. :) Anywho, I guess anything can be abused, like that good insecticide tobacco. I assure you I won't be using my MG's for those evil purposes. :) arum

• arumgrande
    16 years ago

Hi Arum,
    I HAVE abused MGs - for what you may see here:

{{gwi:386148}}

If you can't guess what they are climbing on, I show you a detail.

Good growing
    Bye
    hermann

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:386149}}

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

Arum - your spelling is a riot, assuming it is spelled that way on purpose...

• handspeakboy
    16 years ago

Im feeling the same way with the amorphophalli, guess I just got burnt out. Dan, you are very right.. once you get a few big stinkers.... they lose their thrill.

Now Im happy with the Arisaema I have.. as well as a clump here and there of pinellia that pretty much take care of themselves.

Though, I can feel my addictive personality searching for a new hobby. Perhaps I can coax it into a fascination with working out. I would really love six pack Abs.

Chris

• nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
    16 years ago

anyone getting rid of ariod collections is more than welcome to let us know what they have before it becomes compost. I'd be happy to trade some of my bromeliads for species I don't yet own. You see I'm only on my second full year of this madness. *evil expression*

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County