Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Caladiums are NOT dead

I'd written most of them off as goners because although winter was mild, never getting below 25, it was WET. Usually a LOT hotter by now too, hasn't gotten much above 90 yet. The past week, I've seen a few in higher, dryer spots coming up, but this morning noticed a ton of them poking up in the "main spot." I'd show a pic but they're hardly visible among the leaf cover yet.

Who else has lazy, slow Caladiums?

Comments (8)

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I find Caladiums very erratic. Although, I've got a mix of varieties and that has something to do with it as well. Some of mine go dormant start of summer and then come up late summer and grow right through winter. Some are just the regular summer growers and winter dormant. But I like them, especially is mass plantings.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, I don't know what to think about these things. Last year these things had been up for about 2 months by now. Erratic is right! Just glad they're back. Looks like each one is now 5-10 also. Very cool, maybe they were too busy multiplying to come up yet. ;+)

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

but I remember you had a very late freeze this year around easter. they need soil above 65F to wake up. that's why they are late.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds reasonable, you're right. Had 3 mornings of frost in the last week of March here. Great memory! Although the daytime highs were well above that for a couple months before the last frost, the soil was probably still much cooler than in previous years because of the cooler nights.

The people didn't know frost was coming (except that it was still known to be possible) but the Caladiums apparently did. Maybe they should be employed as forecasting devices? Anyone have Caladiums that got zapped by late frost this year? Maybe they should be referred to as smart instead of lazy?

So many other plants were already up and had a set-back...

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

hi
    I live in s. florida and love caladiums except for the dormant period. Up in March down in Oct. last year had a record warm winter low was 39 many highs in the 80's. had absolutely no effect lol. have experimented putting them in the Gh with lows of 50 went dormant and woke up within two weeks of those in the yard lol Figured the trigger was light so put some under HID lights . Had no effect at all lol
    within two weeks of the others . Was disappointed with the so-called "evergreens " went dormant in Nov but did wake up in Feb. don't seem nearly as vigorous as the regulars . but that could be from the variety I have .
    hard to find and cost about 4 times more but they do extend the range of colors and patterns gary

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

As mentioned before, mine are just simply erratic. It's mid winter here and some of mine are puttingout new leaves. The old leaves had flopped on the ground and I was expecting them to wither. They still haven't withered. Others that actually went dormant end of summer are still dormant. Some that only started growing mid summer are still going strong. Some from the same tuber divisions went dormant end of summer and stayed dormant but others from the same divisions are now putting up new leaves. I think with all the breeding and interbreeding that's been going on the genetics are all mixed up and that's why they're all over the place.

Original Author
    10 years ago

...so what's the forecast? LOL!

Interesting inputs, Thanks Gary & Tropic. I'll stop over-thinking, just keep enjoying the leaves when they are present.

Original Author
    10 years ago

What's not to enjoy!? Managed to get a pic between rain drops this morning.

Sponsored