Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Alocasia reginula, one of the "Jewels"

tropicbreezent
10 years ago

I put the fern in below the Alocasias and thought the whole setting warranted a photo. The Alocasias are in a curved, hollow log that's got a long hole on the outside of the curve. I put a whole lot of limestone gravel into the log which now is what you might call the "potting mix". The fern is also in a hollow log filled with old charcoal and some humus.

These Alocasias grow naturally in rainforest on limestone rocks or outcrops. Strictly speaking they're a lithophyte. They're one of a group of Alocasias called "Jewel Alocasias". When I originally bought some they were labelled "Alocasia". So the fern below fits in well, it's label just said "Fern". Sort of makes it like an orphans home, LOL.

Comments (11)

• coxy
    10 years ago

very nice!

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

Very nice indeed!
    I been hunting a black velvet for some time now, no luck tho

Where did u get it from?

I'm thinking if they take off, that log will vanish under leaves

Do you think keep from going dormant? I forget how cold it gets there...

• petrushka (7b)
    10 years ago

great planting, so natural.
    I saw blk velvet here:
    http://www.floridahillnursery.com/alocasia-elephant-ear-plants-c-12/alocasia-black-velvet-elephant-ear-plant-p-246
    but they are sold out naturally...

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Is this what I have in the upper right of the pic?? found it in the shadehouse being smothered by gingers . has just started to regrow after moving into the regular garden Thanks gary

• grabmebymyhandle
    10 years ago

Nope Gary, that green velvet...A. Frydek

It also has a much longer botanical name too!

It's a great plant, way tougher than it looks!

If u repot it yearly, u will be overwhelmed by the offset in a few year, great fodder for trading!

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments everyone.

There must be someone mass propagating them, the local big store (Bunnings) that has a nursery section has lots of them all the time. They're about $8 or $9.

I find they only seem to go dormant if they dry out too much, and then they're erratic in coming back. Before I knew anything about them I had one go dormant and assumed it had died. The pot got left in a back corner and about 3 years later it decided to pop up again.

Since then I've done a bit of research on them and have collected a few different Jewel Alocasias. I've been experimenting with setting them up in different ways and this (on the wood) seems to be the best so far. The wood stays moist for longer without being soggy. They hate being too wet, although our heavy rain during the wet season doesn't worry them at all, provided drainage is good.

They were also okay in a pot with mostly larger gravel (about 10 to 15 mm diameter). What didn't work well was when I built up a rockery from limestone and put some in that. I think it was too dry, they went dormant too quickly. Probably should have set up the automatic irrigation better and then might have got better results.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Grab
    Thanks for the ID. i'm in the process of redoing the grow area as Frances Jeanne and Wilma wiped out the entire canopy as well as the shadehouse .Repaired the shadehouse , as orchids always come first during disasters lol trying some different methods of culture as the canopy has returned and I like the way it looks !!
    Amazing what was growing in the shadehouse that I'd forgotten about lol gary

• christine1950
    10 years ago

Looks great, I like the way you combined them, they really compliment each other.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    i like it very much . Mind if I steal (borrow ) the idea? lol
    discovered i have over 25 kind of aroids when I cleaned the shadehouse . About all I've done so far is move the pots lol Landscaping has always been my weak point but i am regrouping lol
    You might be able to add some more kinds to that?? Since you don't have to worry about cold there should be many more?? gary

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

"Jewel" is an affectionate name given to this group of alocasias by LariAnn Garner. Per Garner in the article linked below, "This story is an account of my introduction to the beautiful and heartbreaking world of what I have come to call the Jewel Alocasias."

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: The Jewel Alocasias - An introduction to these diminutive beauties

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    7 years ago

GrabMeByMyHandle, are you around these parts much? I didn't see a way to message you directly.

I would love to trade you for a couple Frydek bulbils or little plants, mine doesn't look like it's going to come back this year.

I don't have anything on your list right now, but I am going to plant some moonflower seeds and I may be able to get a Thunbergia vine (the lavender flower one) cutting going. I have tropical milkweed seeds. Or what about a trade for postage?

Meanwhile I will be studying up on bulbil growing. I never did quite figure that plant out (obviously). It used to go dormant on its own and come back on its own. Those were the days. And it did make a ton of bulbils, but somewhere along the line it just quit on me. Bad soil probably.

Have a good day!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH