Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reedandleaf

Mini Pothos?

reedandleaf
10 years ago

Hey Everybody,
I was wondering if anyone knew of anything comparable to a mini pothos. I love how accommodating my dear little pothos are. They are adaptable, undemanding, and good growers. I would love to find something similar but smaller. The best I have found is a mini aroid from Black Jungle Terrarium Supply, but it does not look as though it would have the same growth habit or performance in low light situations. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Comments (5)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Also asked in house plant forum. Maybe you are not looking only for vines?

• reedandleaf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, yes, it is not terribly important if the plant vines; though a trailing growth habit would be nice. The most important characteristics are smaller leaves, hardiness, and versatile light tolerance. Something vibrantly green would be lovely too. So, basically a mini epipremnum/pothos! ;) IâÂÂm going to ask for a unicorn for Christmas too ;)
    Thanks for your kind response :)
    Cheers

10 years ago

Glad to try to help, just don't always "get it" - what folks are asking. By hardiness, you mean being stalwart and somewhat tolerant of neglect? Under the gardening umbrella, the term is usually used to describe plants that can handle frost/cold temps.

Maybe heart-leaf Philodendron is not too obvious to mention as I originally thought. Some others that come to mind...
    Syngonium
    Spider plant (Chlorophytum)
    Callisia repens or fragrans
    Tradescantia zebrina or fluminensis
    Gibasis geniculata
    variegated Vinca vine
    So many plants referred to as ivy (but are not all Hedera)

• reedandleaf
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had not thought of that, but now that you mention it, I suppose both. I had meant stalwart and tolerant of neglect (ashamed to admit it). But cold hardiness does apply as well, in that my house is drafty and cold in the winter. Not actually below freezing of course, but houseplants that are sensitive to the cold would pack their bags and leave (make like a tree and leaf) by mid November.
    Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions! I think the Gibasis geniculata is my favorite. I will definitely look for some :)
    Thanks again and Cheers

10 years ago

I can relate to that. How cold are you talking about? Some mornings in the winter it's about 55 in here. We decide to put on more clothes than spend $ on so much heat, also helps retain a lot of humidity. The key is porous soil so roots don't rot.

Even with that, I also use the tilt'n'drop a few minutes after watering. When the dripping has stopped, tilt the pot toward a drain hole, watch a lot more water run out. Then do a dropping motion a few times but don't, of course, actually drop the plant. A lot MORE water will come out. Now it's ready to go back to its' spot and not rot. Doesn't work on pots with 1 drain hole in the middle but I have few of those and they tend to be clay anyway, not so much of an issue of those retaining moisture.

Gibasis geniculata has showed back up in several spots including a permanently hanging pot, over the past few winters outside. Plants I've brought inside have sulked but if there's a ton of light and roots don't rot, they can stay alive. Barely uses any water when not outside in the heat. I wouldn't expect flowers while inside, but when put back out in the spring, it's worth it!

Have you had a chance to shop for plants yet?

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio