Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about locating & planting Anthurium Plowmanii

Posted by beverly27 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 11:34

I just purchased this plant from the local big box store and want to make sure I locate and plant it correctly. I am in zone 10, in Fort Myers. My home has south, north and west exposures and some shade from pines and mahogany trees. Any suggestions?

Also seeing a bit of yellowing on the leaves. Too much water?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about locating & planting Anthurium Plowmanii

Glad you posted a photo of your plant. It's quite different to mine. I bought mine a number of years back with the comment that the leaf edges would ruffle up. They're a bit wavy now, but far from being ruffled. I checked this site:
http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Anthurium plowmanii pc.html

They say the ruffles can be slight to very ruffled, there's a lot of variation. I put mine in a hollow log in good shade but bright light. It's growing quite well. It doesn't get a lot of water but seems okay with that.

o

Hi
To me it looks like the hybrid called "Fruffles" have usually heard these called "Birds nest anthurium" These types generally IME need more sun and drier conditions than the flowering types . I'd place it where it could get morning sun and some afternoon shade.. I grew a similar type in dappled shade for many years
Since there are only a gazillion types of anthuriums ,not to mention hybrids tough to pin down??? gary

o

Thank you garyfla & tropicbreezent for responding to my first question on this forum. garyfla you're right about the name I believe. The tag actually says Birds Nest Hookerii, but I had a hard time finding a pic that looked like my plant. I think, based on your recommendations, I will place it in the back of the home, facing south, slightly under my mahogany tree dripline. It will get the morning sun, but the tree will provide some shade in the afternoon. I'm planning to create a large plant bed under the mahogany so I have a space to locate a park bench and be able to look over the back pond, and be protected from the sun.

o

Hi
Think that will work for you. hurricane frances threw a shadehouse on top of mine so no longer have it lol.
Great site for a tropical garden!!! gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here