Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help id this aroid

Posted by kayababe none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 13:43

Mother has had it for 35 years and has never seen a single one like it. Was only a foot tall and had 3 leaves and is now 4 feet with 12 - 24 inch leaves. Blooms all the time and goes to seed. Always produces smaller babies. And travels by its root as it goes. Any ideas? Sorry the images rotated posting from my phone.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help id this aroid

Do you have photos of the flowers, and the small ones coming up?

o

Can't help except to flip your pic. Pretty!!

o

Thanks purp!
That helped... It's like I fell and hit my head...
The worlds all upside down and askew...and I can't ID the elephant ear... What's going on...

Seriously tho, it's a really nice looking plant!
Obviously an alocasia, but no idea the genus!
It's going to be considered a mask or jewel alocasia.
I'm guessing it has purple leaf backs?

There's several newer hybrids that it resembles, but even if you are exaggerating, and the plants 20 years old, that's going to rule out new hybrids, almost sure to be a species...
If u don't mind I could copy the pic and ask around for u, see if some real experts know, is that ok kaya?

And... If ur interested I would happily trade a few nice elephant ears of mine for a start of that one, surely after 35 years u folks have a few extras...
If not that's cool too, thanks for posting it, really nice plant

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here