Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenphotographer

Amorphophallus albus leafing out

gardenphotographer
18 years ago

Hi All,

I'm new to the Aroid forum, but thought I would report on my collection. I live in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin and therefore grow my aroids in pots that can be moved indoors over winter. I keep the pots fairly dry during winter (watering 8 ounces of water once per month into each 8 inch pot). In April, the pots are moved to a sunny window in the garage (not allowed to freeze). In May, they are moved outdoors onto a table and recieve full day sun (8+ hours). Plants then receive their one and only treatment of Osmocote slow release fertilzer for the year. They are pretty much on their own from that point on.

This week, four of my potted aroids have produced emerging stalks and leaves are beginning to develop. My emerging plants are: Arisaema heterophyllum, Typhonium divaricatum, Amorphophallus albus, and Amorphophallus konjac. Previously, two of my plants emerged in winter and both produced flowers. My blooming aroids were: Arisaema saxatile (flowered mid February) and Arisaema candidissimum (flowered mid April).

Four of my plants show no sign of life. My dormant / dead plants are: Arisaema taiwanense, Pinellia peltata, Amorphophyllus bulbifer, and Amorphophyllus henryi. I have hope that these may still emerge over the summer. We shall see.

Perhaps my successes (and failures) will interest others in growing these facinating plants. Your comments and guidance is always appreciated.

Tom

Comments (4)

• fresh_tendril
    18 years ago

Wow, you have a nice little collection of aroids.

My Amorphophallus konjacs and bulbifers are taking their time too. After keeping them in the basement in sphagnum all winter, I potted them and they've been sitting around since early April. Being the impatient guy that I am, i dug out a little soil to see how the bulbifer is progressing. It's sprouted, but is still waiting. It leafed out about mid June last year. So i'm hoping he'll be out soon and maybe even flower. Its a big corm so we'll see if it does.
    It's funny, my amorpho's tend to have personalities, they come out whenever they feel.

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Yeah, my albus, asterostigmatus and henryi are just about to leaf out and my konjac and bulbifer are not too far behind. This year I got some Am. scaber, cruddasianus, macrorhizus, corrugatus and kachinensis to go with my other 20 odd Amorph species so I'm excited to see them grow the first time!! I was digging around tonight trying to find some of these species for someone and was happy to see lots of little roots and growth points so I hope to see some plants in a couple more weeks! I was lucky to get all blooming size tubers so I'm hoping for big ol' plants this summer and maybe a bunch of new flowers next spring!! This was a slow flowering year for me unfortunately, as I only had konjac, asterostigmatus, bulbifer, verticillatus and albus bloom...bummer....maybe next spring!!

I've got perhaps 100 Arisaema either flowering or atleast up and out of their pots and about to bloom.....I love these Arisaema...it is great getting new species and waiting to see the bloom the first time!! These guys are soooooo friendly to us northeners since they sprout now and go dormant in Sept and are happy about it compared to Amorphs which take a fair bit more pampering. I must say, I'd love to get a big blooming size taiwanensis tuber.....don't want to pay for it of course, but anyone that wants to trade......

Please post pics of some of your flowering Arisaema......I'll try to post some once I get back from vacation and have a bit of time.

Good growing everyone :o) Dan

• gardenphotographer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Below is an image of Arisaema heterophyllum Bajou. Native to China. Purchased from Plant Delights (Raleigh, NC) in 2004. My plant just started blooming today (flower not fully opened). Our snap of very warm weather has seemed to kick the growth into high gear.

{{gwi:386666}}

Fresh_tendril - Thank you for the nice comments.

Dan - Here's the first flowering image. More to follow if the aroids keep cooperating.

Tom

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Hi Tom,

Nice pic....they look so much like Ar. dracontium at this point don't they. Someday I'll have to try to sign up for one of those on-line photo deals so that I can post directly into my messages like that!! Keep the pics coming :o) Dan

Sponsored