Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fman_gw

where are my jack candidissimums?

fman
18 years ago

i planted two of these jack bulbs last summer. one had surfaced at that time with only leaves. i guess it was too late for it to flower. so far i do not see any evidence of them emerging from the ground. i know they emerge late but shouldn't i start to see them by now? should i still have hope? can anyone give me advice on planting, growing and caring for these jacks. i'm hoping to buy more. also can anyone suggest or tell me where i can buy healthy flowering size bulbs. thanks for the info.

Comments (3)

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

HI,

It is pretty early for canides yet in my opinion and experience. Mine are grown in pots and are just now emerging...I've got pink, white and the odd greenish variant out of China....that one is blooming now, but the others have quite a ways to go yet.

As for others....which ones are you looking for?? There are many sources for these wonderful plants. I grow tons of the Himalayan species....some of these are very difficult in my experience and some are trivial. My favorites that are very easy to grow (for me in my conditions) are speciosum, costatum, concinnum (green, purple and yellow variants), fargesii, tortuosum, candidissimum, amurense and consanguineum (the variegated leaf patterns on these are spectacular). I should say that I'm not a big grower of the Japanese species but it is my understanding that most of these are easy to grow.....ringens is wonderful.

Growing conditions.....excellent drainage is an absolute must for most of the species....a raised bed is a good choice, but not necessarily a requirement. Some like quite a bit of sun....candies can take full sun in their native China, for example, but I grow all of mine in just 4 hours of morning sun on the north side of my house.

Hope this helps :o) Dan

• kwoods
    18 years ago

fman, don't worry yet. I had one show a pip about a week ago and just yesterday I spotted another 5 out of the 10 or so I have. I'm the same zone as you and with all the cool weather they are a bit later this year than they were last.

There's this guy in PA who is very knowledgeable about jacks and I've gotten several from him at good prices. No shipping 'til fall from anywhere reptable I would think. I seem to remember him having a website . ;o)

By the way Dan, when should I expect A. galeatum to typically start to show? (not intended as a hijack, just a wink ;Â)

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Hi KWoods,

I agree on the shipping...I just do not think you should ship when they are breaking dormancy. As for galeatum.....I've got a few up now and one fully flowered. I had some 2 pound tubers of galeatum this spring that are just up and leafing out.....HUGE leaf, but this is not a species that produces massive flowers like speciosum v. magnificum!! Some of my species are not up, but most are.....all of mine are stored in the garage for the winter and so most all of my species are up and growing like mad.....only my jacquemontii and consanguineum are not up at all....of course my griffithii and utile are being stupid, but I've come to expect that...these are just tough species for me!! Thanks for the wink!

fman, do not give up hope....this is a late species and often puts its nose up to look around and then waits for a few weeks before it takes off and flowers in a hurry :o) Dan