Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypearsatx

Arum Italicum in San Antonio, TX

pricklypearsatx
16 years ago

I live in San Antonio and have a bed of Cannas.

The Cannas go dormant in the winter, so I would like to interplant them with a "winter" bulb.

I read about Arum Italicum. I have a book about bulbs from Sunset, which lists it being able to grow in our area.

However, I can't find any information about growing these in Texas.

I know that our winters would be warm enough for these plants, so I don't know why I can't find out more about growing them in Texas.

I wonder would our soils be too dry? Winters too hot? Summers too hot?

The area where I would like to grow these will get part sun in the winter, but full shade in the summer.

I know that I would need to give them plenty of water to get them established. Would it take more water than cannas?

Do they need growing conditions the same as ferns?

Would they always need more water than cannas?

The reason I say this, is because my cannas have done fine, here.

It seems like these plants are the most popular in CA, the Carolinas.

The bulbs are very reasonably price at Brecks. Also, they will ship during the fall.

Thank you very much

Comments (2)

• jim_6b
    16 years ago

I grow Arum italicum and had some planted on the east side of my house so they are in full sun until about 12:00 pm and then in shade the rest of the day. Mine start putting out new leaves when it starts to cool off in early fall and will bloom in early spring, usually in March. When it starts to get hot they die back and become dormant until the weather gets cool again. They are planted very close to the house and the Tn. clay stays fairly dry there but they seem very happy and have multiplied. I'm not sure if they would grow in soil that stays wet a lot. Maybe someone else could help you with that. Mine are dormant and I actually dug them last week to thin them and possibly get rid of a few. Do you have anything you would like to trade? I didn't see anything on your trade list. Let me know.
    Jim

• pricklypearsatx
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry,

Don't have anything to trade.

In San Antonio, soils tend to be quite dry. I was implying that I would need to water them to get them started.

It seems that the Arum is popular in the Carolinas, especially North Carolina and along the eastern US. Howewever, I don't see any reference to it growing in Florida.

Southern Living has heat zone recommendation for Arum Italicum as maximum of heat zone 9. Most of the Carolinas are in heat zone 8. I live in heat zone 10. (However, heat zone 9 plants do survive in summer shade here. The Arums would be in full summer shade, winter part sun)

The heat zone is different from the USDA hardiness. It is based on the number of days over 86 degrees per year. In San Antonio, that's about 160 days per year. Same is for most of Florida.

Since many bulbs need a certain amount of "winter chill", I wonder if this is one of them?

There are bulbs that thrive in high heat zones and need no winter chill, such as elephant ears, canna, caladiums etc.

Bulbs that require winter chill are tulips, crocus don't make it here. Even many of the daffodils don't do well here.

Anyway, I wonder what if there is a "winter chill" length requirement for Arum Italicum?

Winter chill doesn't necessarily mean freezing. It may have to do with number of days/hours less than 60 degrees.
    (Or hours/days with soil temperature less than 70 degrees or 60 degrees.)

I wonder if climate is "too warm", the poor plants may have trouble breaking dormancy in the fall?

Generally, in San Antonio, the entire month of October is 80 degrees and above.

I know that Arums can grow in frost free environments such as northern California, but they have year round "cool" weather, with very few days with any weather over 80 degrees.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH