Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arisaema speciosum skipping flower straight to fruit

Posted by extragalactic 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 8, 09 at 15:51

I bought some large bulbs of Arisaema speciosum var. magnificum from a reputable seller and planted them five weeks ago.

One of them looks peculiar while it is emerging. There is no flower, but instead it appears to be going straight to the fruit stage:

Also, 1/3 leaves is mostly stunted with no sign of any insect/pest damage.

Is this behavior (skipping flower straight to fruit) common? Is the plant is possibly confused about what time of year it is because of the transplanting?

(There's another bulb nearby that is emerging exactly as I would expect -- foliage stalk with three good leaves and the beginnings of a flower -- which you can see in part to the right rear of the image.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arisaema speciosum skipping flower straight to fruit

If I were a betting man I would guess your 'reputable seller' simply imported these in late winter from India as I used to do and so they were actually dug last fall.......having done this for well over 1,000 A. speciosum I can say that it is not uncommon at all for the spathe to not develop the first year and to miss a leaf blade as you have. Assuming you have them well planted and they come back next year you should expect a normal plant......my experience anyway. By the way, these are likely from Udai and Satyam Pradhan in the Darjeeling region of India :o) Dan

o
RE: Arisaema speciosum skipping flower straight to fruit

Thanks for the info! That bulb history sounds like it could easily upset a plant's internal time-clock.

And it's amazing what tidbits of information you can find here (i.e., about the bulb's likely point-of-origin)...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here