Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonsai101

Weedus unknownus variegatus -- Just for fun!!

bluebonsai101
17 years ago

OK, now for something that has nothing to do with Aroids or even plants you would want to grow to be honest, but I was out walking in the woods today and saw this incredibly wonderful variegated weed. These exist by the millions here, but I've never seen a variegated one before.....too bad it wasn't something worthwhile.....I would have hit the jackpot :o) Dan

{{gwi:386823}}

Comments (24)

• orchidpat

"one man's weed is another man's flower." Or for you ladies here :-) "one woman's weed is another wonam's flower"

• orchidpat

"one man's weed is another man's flower." Or for you ladies here :-) "one woman's weed is another wonam's flower"

• orchidpat

• orchidpat

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Bet Randy English would be interested! I've seen pictures of variegated weeds he's collected--seems like I remember a variegated poison ivy. That's really pretty!

• woodnative
    17 years ago

Dan-
    Fantastic!! It looks like a young jewelweed (Impatiens capensis). Beautiful variegation! This is an annual, but maybe the variegation would pass onto some of the seedlings.

• stevethelizard
    17 years ago

here in the uk we have a couple of companies who will buy sported wildflowers for invitro propagation i hope to sell them some var moon dasies they have a fantastic patterm on the leaves

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, maybe I'll try a leaf cutting to see if I can keep it going. You wouldn't want too many of them though, because they are a pain in the backside as a spreading weed!! If they are self fertile then maybe I'll have a little cluster of them next year :o) Dan

• User
    17 years ago

That's awesome! Love the name BTW

• ARUM
    17 years ago

Dan,that's a real looker! My whole garden is infested with "weeds" that I've dug up and brought home. The last one was Arrow Head which wasn't even planted,,but laid down by the koi pond, and it rooted. Before I realized what was happening it had made it's way underground most all the way around the pond. What a nasty experience! The whole area,(colluding all the plants I've planted over the years), had to be dug up, and the Arrow Head removed from them. This particulat plant puts out runners with hardish bulbs on the end which spread like crazy. Still, I haven't learned my lesson, because there's also been some beautiful ones, and if that one caught my eye, it would probably be added to the collection. :)

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    17 years ago

I wouldn't hesitate to grow a variegated Jewelweed! LOVE IT! Over the years I have found variegated forms of poison ivy, japanese honeysuckle, smartweed, knotweed, prunella and red clover. The only one I seriously tried to save was the prunella and I'm a bit bummed that it didn't make it. Nothing so exciting as Jewelweed, though! I love that stuff, even the plain!
    Great photo!
    Do you realize there is a whole Impatiens forum now?

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    17 years ago

{{gwi:386824}}

• ARUM
    17 years ago

No thars some nice varigation! :)

• MacDaddy
    17 years ago

Dan,

I must have that weed. I grow Jewelweed, Policemens helmet, and Balsam impatients in an artifical wetland next to my house.

I was trying to crossbreed them but they don't like each others pollen.

I had transplanted a few seedling Jewelweeds to the garden this spring but when they flowered I found I had picked a variety with extra small flowers. So I chopped them off. I was however going to look for replacements. If those are Jewelweed I certainly would like some. They don't look like it to me however. Don't know why but the leaf shape and new growth looks wrong to me.

I just sent fourteen three foot long rhizomes of Phyllostachys Vivax "Spring hill" too somebody for free (no trade). They had emailed me two years ago wanting some but I only had a whippet at that point. Now it's attempting to violate the borders of it's ten foot wide bed. I'm certainly due for a good deed pointing in my direction.

Balsam
    {{gwi:386825}}

Policeman's Helmet
    {{gwi:386826}}

• bluebonsai101
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HI all, I rarely check in here anymore as I quit posting at this forum for the most part, so sorry for the late reply. I made absolutely no attempt to dig and transplant this guy to my yard so I have no idea if it will be in the woods again next year. Honestly, once I heard it was an annual and you would have to propagate via seed my interest went all the way to zilch. Still, I'm glad you liked the pic and the plant!!

Macdaddy, wish I had it to send, but I didn't think it was anything more than a lark....I ship stuff to people all the time for free once I have an extra gazillion too many of somehting....I've given away a ton of Typhonium and Amorphophallus, but to friends I know.

Glad people liked this little natural oddball :o) Dan

• MacDaddy
    17 years ago

So what was it?

BTW, I'm growing this weed. About 99% of you will have it in your yard but not with flowers like this.

{{gwi:386827}}

• pirate_girl
    17 years ago

Don't think that's a weed, isn't it commonly called 'Sun Rose'? My college sweetheart's family grew this from what I recall. Are the leaves slightly thick to the touch? Thought I remember those flowers, but they were all different colors, pretty/cute little things.

Some kind of Portulaca??

• MacDaddy
    17 years ago

The weed is purslane. It's scientific name is portulaca oleracea. It is a domesticated variety of the common purslane you probably find in your yard all the time. The common one has small yellow flowers about 1/8 inch.
    Pirate Girl, good guess. It is related to "moss rose" (Portulaca Grandifloria).

• ARUM
    17 years ago

macdaddy, that's my favorite rose moss, I can't imagine it being called a weed. :)

• hoe_hoe_hoe
    17 years ago

I paid a good price for a hanging basket of that portulaca and have been nibbling on the flowers all summer. Good source of vitamin C!

• canttype
    17 years ago

A weed is only a weed if YOU consider them a weed.

eg... Dandylion Weed to some. Food for most people, whether they know it or not. (baby leaves are in most spring mixes of salads!) Medicine for many folks.....Roots, leaves and flowers!

Many 'weeds' are more likely a food source or an herbal remedy!

Diane

• MacDaddy
    17 years ago

It is not moss rose. Moss rose has pointy pine needle like leaves. These are rounded and flat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moss rose

• philh
    17 years ago

So what variety is the one in your photo?

• MacDaddy
    17 years ago

That's "rio scarlet".

Here is a link that might be useful: Purslane

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES