Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alina_1

Newbie's questions

alina_1
17 years ago

Hi,

I just got my 'end of the season' mail order calla lilies collection from American Meadows. 3 out of 7 tubers look nice, while other 4 are very small and dry. Do they have any chance to survive? Do I have to pre-soak them before planting? Any other advice/suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

I wouldn't soak them. Pot them up and water them well and see what happens. Many calla lily tubers are dry due to storage. Once you plant them and start watering them, it's likely they will emerge from dormancy. It's probably too late to plant them out in the yard, but you can enjoy them in pots and when the leaves start to brown and die back, remove them from the pots and allow them to dry outside for a couple of weeks.

Store them in dry peat moss indoors in a cool location over winter, then plant them outside in the ground in spring when the night temps are at least 60-65*. They should overwinter in your zone.

Susan

• alina_1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Susan, thank you so much for answering!
    I planted them in pots, using Moisture Control soil to keep them moist all the time. There is no any sign of life yet, but the soil is cracked above the bulbs, so they are probably on their way.
    Thanks again!

• bihai
    17 years ago

The calla lilies have just now started to appear in garden centers here. I never grow them, I tried once but they last about a week in the heat LOL then poof! gone, (kinda like most hostas here) and the bulbs tend to rot here if left in the ground. Most of the people I know around here who grow them treat them as annuals. You are lucky to be able to have them as a stable garden plant.

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Bihai - you're kidding - this late? Mine are already approaching the end of their bloom season; the foliage still looks very nice, though. The blooms last a very long time here, too.

This is the first year I've grown them in the ground, so we will see how they winter over.

Susan

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

hi
    i have the same results as bihai in zone 10.Had high hopes for Aethiopica as it's the most aquatic . Grows like crazy about mid Feb then slowly declines as the heat sets in. Only flowered for me once. The first year.
    Have the same experience with many common perrenials.
    They can't take the heat lol
    gary

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Mine are still going gangbusters even in this heat we've been having in Oklahoma. Not mulched or anything special, have even let them get very, very dry. Foliage still as green as ever, and still putting up blooms. What's with?

Susan

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Gary, you should keep them out of the kitchen!

Sponsored