Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alocasia cucullata - Buddha's Hand

Posted by espor z5 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 12 at 16:25

Anyone growing this alocasia? I would like to know how you are growing it (inside or out) and how you have been overwintering it. I have had mine in a 6" pot since 2005 and it has made numerous pups that I would like to separate. Can I plant it in the ground like a 'normal' elephant ear and then dig it up and pot it for winter? Please let me know your procedure.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alocasia cucullata - Buddha's Hand

Mine grows outside all year so I can't advise on overwintering. But one thing I found with it is that it likes a lot of water. When it was kept on the dry side it didn't do much. Later I moved the pot into water, on the edge of a pond. The water was about a third of the way up the pot. The plant just rocketed off after that. It's big and looks really great. I thought most Alocasias didn't like too much water but this is definitely one that does.

o

Thanks for the reply. I think I will put one of my pots at the edge of the pond and see what happens. I have kept mine on the dry side all it's life and it has stayed small, less than 1'. When I bought the plant I wanted to bonsai it but then that fell by the wayside. Now I just want to grow healthy plants around the yard and let them grow to their full potential.

o

Thanks for the reply. I think I will put one of my pots at the edge of the pond and see what happens. I have kept mine on the dry side all it's life and it has stayed small, less than 1'. When I bought the plant I wanted to bonsai it but then that fell by the wayside. Now I just want to grow healthy plants around the yard and let them grow to their full potential.

o

Upadate July 13 - the one pot that I put at the edge of the pond is doing very well. It has a new leaf and a new pup. Nice and green and strong looking. The other pots are being kept on the moist side. When they start to dry out I water. They also are starting to grow.

o

Good to hear. They definitely like a good water supply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here