Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachplant

Amorphs S-L-0-W

beachplant
15 years ago

For some reason this year none of my amorphs seems to be in any hurry to grow. One konjac bloomed a couple of weeks ago. 3 of the amorphs have a nice fully formed leaf. But the majority of them are just growing very, very slowly. Usually I have a forest by now. Even the ones that I leave in the ground are slow. We haven't had much rain, well, none for 71 days, but the ones in pots cerainly get plenty of water. The ones in the ground are getting watered with everything else. And they have grown sitting on the shelf in years past.

Anyone else having delayed growth this year?

Tally HO!

Comments (6)

• ironious
    15 years ago

Yes me too. I live in northern California. Non of my amorphs have a leaf yet. One has a leaf that is getting ready to open and another has a flower thats dieing back. The others have either not sprouted yet or are just little buds breaking the surface and they are just creeping along. Is this normal?

• botanybabe
    15 years ago

My amorphs are up here in Indiana, but haven't bloomed.

My paeonifoliums have not even bothered to sprout. Do they skip years sometimes and just stay dormant if it's too hot or cold?

Laliney

• beachplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We haven't been too cold. And they come up every year with all the heat we have. Several more have leafed out & looks like one is about to bloom. A couple of my species tend to be late growers but we're talking konjac, paeonifoliums & some others not growing yet.
    Tally HO!

• krazyaroider
    15 years ago

I have various Amorphophallus Spp. and they are slow here as of July 3. My henryii, mossambicincess, albus, and others are just poking up in their pots. One konjac leaf is unfurling while others are just "pointing".

• ironious
    15 years ago

I think there is something wrong with our global climate. The earth is changing. A lot of my plants started acting weird beginning in last November up til now All bulbs. My two Amorphophallus koratensis are in full leaf and one huge konjac is near full leaf. My A.myosuroides has been in leaf for quite some time but I started those indoors early with heat mats under grow lights. My muleri and atroviridis have not even brokent the surface yet. I removed some dirt to look at the and they are waking up though. My henri's were in full leaf when I got them. My paeoniifolius buds are a little taller but the buds are still closed with no leaf yet.

• weedwoman
    15 years ago

I was going to start a thread about this but I'll add on to this one. I have some Amorphophallus konjac in pots; I planted them back in June (in northern NJ). The biggest one bloomed in in early June and then it just sat there; it finally started making leaves about the beginning of September. I think one of the other (much smaller) ones is starting a leaf, but the otheres are just sitting there. Last year I planted them at the same time and they had leaves all summer. Is this normal? I guess I'll take the ones with leaves inside and put them under lights when it gets cold but that hasn't worked very well for me in the past. Is it safe to let these outside till they get frosted? What's the scoop here?

WW

{{gwi:386863}}

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio