Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

a few photos from the greenhouse....

bihai
17 years ago

I have been doing a lot of work in the greenhouse trying to flesh out the plantings with ferns, groundcovers, etc. I took these photos today.

The first is Philodendron gloriosum, then Philo mamei, and a few general shots

Can anyone give me some suggestions for some neat filler plants? I have been using stuff like Cryptanthus broms, ferns, pepperomas, sedums, and the like.

{{gwi:386935}}
{{gwi:386937}}
{{gwi:312301}}
{{gwi:312294}}
{{gwi:386942}}
{{gwi:386945}}

Comments (12)

• aroideana
    17 years ago

Get lots more different Calatheas and I really like Caladiums as a filler. Aglaonemas are excellent also , just keep on chopping and replanting them , they look great as massed plantings .

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I want more calatheas, just have to locate a good local source.
    Scattered about the GH at various places I have the following calathea:
    Yellow Rattleshaker
    lancifolia
    rubicifolia
    magnifica
    Velvet Touch
    tigrina
    ornata
    and another little striped one I forgot the name of.
    I have 3-4 of these round leaved ones with different patterns as well who I don't have named for.

Caladiums, well, here they go dormant in winter even in the greenhouse so they are not really a viable option. I have some bicolor that come back seasonally in there but that's the only one.

Aglaonemas sound like something I need to look into!!!! Thanks for the suggestions!

• philofan
    17 years ago

Great photos! What's the cordyline variety in the third photo?

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    Don't see many gesneriads. Is that an episcia In the last pic?? I love the tropical selaginellas.How about some of the vining orchids such as Goodyera,Ludisia,Macodes?? Maybe some of the clump forming terrestrial or semi terrests??
    Could i ask where you located the P. gloriosum??
    I'm redoing my shadehouse to various grow zones.Sort of an overgrown terrarium lol. Having a lot of fun with the process.Since mine is much smaller than yours i need to be very careful as it quickly turns into a "jungle"
    Fantastic pix!! Do you have any of your understory palms??
    gary

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Philofan,
    the Ti in the 3rd photo is Wi'lis Gold. I think it and Peter Buck are my favorites.
    Gary, I don't think I have any episcias or gesneriads. What are examples of those?
    The plants in the last photo are, from left to right:
    Tacca integrifolia (white bat)
    a large unknown birdsnest type Anthurium
    Neophytum "Burgundy Hill"
    Tricolor stromanthe
    Ribbon plant in the background (platycerium?)
    Neoregelia "Tangerine"
    Ti "JC Garcia"
    Costus osae "Red Rose"
    In the foreground is my Bauhinia seedling and variegated alocasia odora (aurea)

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Bihai - I know your ID'ing other plants that people probably are familiar with, but what is the plant in the last photo on the right, that looks like it is budding out (red)?

Susan

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ummmmm........dumb me......Gary asked me if that was an episcia and I said I didnlt think I had any but that's exactly what it is, Susan! I have 3-4 different ones of those, I don't have the cultivar names. I bought them in larger pots and split them up and planted them "here and there" in the greenhouse. They are kinda related to African Violets I think. I need to read about them.

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Bihai
    Go into the gesneriad forum sometime..There are hundred of specie besides the AV. The Episcias come in fantastic leaf colors and are almost always in flower. They are VERY cold sensitive but no problem for you. The whole family should grow like weeds in your setup
    gary

• Gardener972
    17 years ago

Good looking plants! Say, what's the palm at the top of the 4th picture?

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

gardner972, that is a Licuala grandis palm

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Well, I'll try again. Had a long post with suggestions and compliments (great photos and a wonderful greenhouse!) (try more gesneriads and how about some begonias, especially some of the less-common ones that get people to say THAT's a BeGONia?!) but it disappeared before I could even hit 'preview'. Aargh! I can't see your ribbon plant clearly enough to be absolutely sure, but I think it's what people around here call 'tapeworm plant'. I call mine ribbon fern, but it's proper name seems to be Homolocladium platycladium. One site called it Muehlenbeckia without a species, and since it was the UCLA botanical garden I'm insecure. It isn't actually a fern, and if you look close, in early spring I think, you'll see tiny flowers at the joints, and I think I've occasionally seen berries, tho' that may be on something else. I forget. Do that a lot. Somebody told me a long time ago I should pick a plant family and stick to it--you can't possibly know more than one very thoroughly. Well, but that's what makes it fun!

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

GE - I know just what you mean about begonias, having belong to the ABS for many years. So few people know about the entire genus and only think of the garden variety they see at the nurseries every spring to be used as bedding plants. There are some truly outstanding begonias available. Check out Logees website and Michael Kartuz. They have some truly stunning begonias available. And, I know they have groups that have a lot of shows in Florida, particularly - very active groups. At shows they always have plant sales where you can get a lot of begonias -- big ones -- for very cheap prices.

The rhizomatous and rex classes particularly have stunning foliage, and a well-grown rhizomatous begonia can have leaves up to 12-18" wide in a greenhouse setting, in colors ranging from reds, purples, silvers, bronzes, to anything and everything in between.

Susan

Sponsored