Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
growhappy

Need a Source for A. Hilo Beauty...

GrowHappy
18 years ago

Can anyone recommend a place online to get a good size one of these? I know that Logees has them but you have to buy 4- 5 plants in order to make one nice sized plant. Thanks in advance!

GH

Comments (7)

• cannafreak
    18 years ago

Try A&B Tropicals they usually have Hilo Beauty. There plants are nice quality and prices are pretty reasonable.

Here is a link that might be useful: A & B Tropicals

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Cannafreak - what a great source for alocasias and colocasias at such great prices! Thanks for sharing that with me, since I am new to aroids. I just have a couple of jacks, about 4 different alocasias, colocasias, remusatia (hitchhiker EE), which I think is a pretty good beginning. I am finding that these guys winter over very well in my back yard (south facing, but part shade in summer due to large trees surrounding the perimeter of my property. I just showed my daughter the pictures of the giant Thai colocasia, and she gasped, "Mom, where are you going to put that thing!". My response, as always, "I'll find a place!"

Susan

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

CannaFreak, thank you for sharing this with me! This is a perfect size and the price is quite reasonable. I have another question for you. Since I will be planting it in a container and overwintering indoors as a houseplant, I'd like to choose the best kind of soil and container. Do I need a tall container? Will terra cotta do well with EEs? What should I amend the soil with? Perlite, peat?

Thanks a bunch!

GH

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Why are you guys going to overwinter indoors? Mine are fine with about 1' mulch, a sealed bag of mulch or soil thrown on top after the leaves die down. Maybe I have more of a microclimate in my south facing yard surrounded by trees, wood fence, decking, etc.?

Susan

• cannafreak
    18 years ago

Hi GH & Susan, I'm glad I could help you out. I have ordered from A & B Tropicals and they have nice quality plants good luck with them.

GH, I have never tried to overwinter a Alocasia outside but you maybe able to do it. Make sure the soil is well drained and mulch who knows it could make it.

As for your question terra cotta should be fine just during the summer you may have to water more. I use promix for all my aroids. I can not answer your question about the soil because I have no idea what type you use. I can tell you Alocasia's like moist soil but not waterlogged soil.

Tara

• GrowHappy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Tara,

I'm actually going to be growing it indoors during winter....in a container. I'm sure it wouldn't survive a Maryland winter outdoors! :)))

Thanks again!
    GH

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

GH - you're in the same zone as I am, and my alocasias have overwintered in the ground just fine. They come up late (my macorrhiza just started about 2 weeks ago), but I mulch them well. If I don't have time to much, I just throw a bag of mulch or soil, or something over them.

I thought I had killed the macorrhiza; when I pulled the bag of soil off the top this spring, the leaves were all mushy and gooey - yuck! I trimmed away the nasty stuff and since I didn't know if it was dead or not, I tugged on the top of one bulb and off came about 2 inches of the top, revealing the white starchy looking inside of the bulb. Well, I just kept watering it like I normally did, and now I have 5 leaves sprouting! I think they are a lot tougher than they look. Do you have an area in your yard that you consider a sort of "microclimate". Mine is on the South side of my yard, but I am surrounded by tall, mature trees, a stockade fence, huge tri-level deck, etc. We get some zero temps here, but not long enough to matter apparently.

Susan

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County