Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink Mist Calla not very pink

Posted by bug_girl Z10 Sunset 17 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 4, 06 at 17:25

I am unhappy with Pink Mist, because it fails to be pink enough, under garden conditions. The white calla can be a super invasive nuisance plant. The flower is just like a white one with the slightest hint of pink. I tried it in containers at first to over come the invasive problem, but it did not like containers. In the ground it has bloomed, but many of the flowers got sun burned, and dried up and died. If you like the big white ones, this one is pretty much the same. Then you might like Pink Mist, if you have room for it, and dont mind it multiplying like crazy.

If you look it up on line, the photos have been doctored, and photographed under certain lighting conditions, this is not a pink flower. It is white was a tiny dash of pink near the base, which is only visible if you look inside the flower. From the outside it looks just like the white one.

It was going to a plant swap, but now it is going into the city compose bins. I dont have time to deal with finding someone to trade with, and I have a very small garden with limited space.

I have a small black calla, that is doing great. The black flower is really black. I prefer to dwell on successful plants. I also purchased a small pink, but it has the same problem of being white. The darker pinks ones were successful, it is just the lighter pinks that go white and also sunburn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink Mist Calla not very pink

I have the light pink and dark pink. At first when they came up, they were so light pink you could barely see the pink in them. But, as the days went on, the pink became much, much brighter as the flower matured. Do you water them consistently. When in growth, they like a lot of water. Also, do you feed them bulb food? These are tubers, and I put bulb food in the hole when I planted them. Mine get a ton of West sun in Oklahoma, and they are doing great. I just had to wait several days for the really good pink to show up.

Susan

o
RE: Pink Mist Calla not very pink

The Pink Mist is a medium size and the other pink is a small size. The small was pinker then the Pink Mist, however, it began as more pink, but turned whiter with age. The Pink Mist is almost completely white save for the small hint of pink in the center. I got them from this vendor. The small black is outstanding. The dark pink I got at the nursery, and it is medium size, and it dusty dark pink with good color.

I took a photo at the garden show of the Pink Mist, they had cut flowers that looked fairly pink. Then when I grew it, I got the disappointment results, but took a photo any way. Then this year the worse of all, the flower were less pink then ever.

All of them were treated fairly, feed, water, slaved over.

Pink Mist (This was a pink as it ever got)

vs.

Calla Lily Garnet Glow
ZANTEDESCHIA REHMANNII VIOLACEA
(really pink)

You can see why I dislike Pink Mist.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here