Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Voodoo Lily

susanlynne48
18 years ago

I was attempting to find out whether this plant needs partial to full shade, or sun, and what kind of soil mixture does it prefer. I was going to do a search on this forum, but there doesn't seem to be a search engine within this forum. My Oklahoma zone is 7a.

Can anyone tell me about this particular aroid?

Susan

Comments (13)

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Hi Susan, Well a lot of plants go by that name so a genus and species would be helpful. If it is Typhonium venosum (Sauroamtum) then this is full sun if you want (this is where I grow mine), although plenty of shade will not hurt them. Amorphophallus konjac will also take full sun for me, but again shade is fine. I grow all of mine in a very fast draining mix of pine bark and perlite, but either of the species listed above can take a bit heavier soil as well. You couldn't kill the Typhonium even if you wanted to and the Amorph is almost as hardy. The Typhonium would be hardy in your zone, the Amorph likely not. Of course, you could also have a Dracunculus which also sometimes goes by the common name Voodoo Lily....what exactly are you growing?? All of these are easy so I think you will do fine. Best of luck :o) Dan

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

Search is on the first page above the list of questions.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

SHould have been more specific - it is Typhonium Venosum, not dracunculus, and thanks for the info. I think I'll plant it in part shade in my back yard. The front gets scalding sun in Oklahoma summers. Things that will grow in the sun further north, are often best planted in shade in the south. Also thanks for the info on planting mix.

Cactusfreak, thanks for the info on the search engine; I was looking for it where all the other forums I frequent have it, and couldn't for the life of me find it.

Susan

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

YAY! I think I was fortunate enought to get one of the Thailand Giant colocasias that PD was offering for about 24 hours. I got an e-mail and immediately responded. They're already sold out, so X your fingers! I also ordered 'Ruffles' just in case. I have always admired this colocasia.

Susan

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cactusfreak: There is no search feature on this forum. I looked again after you told me about it, but it's not there!

Susan

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

Go to the Aroid home page. Look down just under Aroid and it's there for me at least.
    I put a link to it. If you can't see it it is something with your computer settings I guess.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroid Search

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

Sorry now I'm confused. It is 'above' The word Aroid.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

DA_N! I must be blind as a bat. Thank you for your patience, cactusfreak. I found it. All I do is read, proof, research, and draft at the office and by the time I get home, my eyes really, really are very blurry.

Hopelessly in your debt,

Susan

• Annie6
    18 years ago

Help please!! I planted my voodoo lily (Sauromatum venosum) and it grew about 2 inches. Then I noticed roots above the soil, so I put more soil down to cover those.
    Now it seems to have stopped growing. It is in a heavier clay-like soil. Should I remove some dirt, or repot it in good potting soil??

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't know about the rest of the guys on this forum, but I always amend my clay soil, to include peat moss, compost, and manure. Lately, though, I add some orchid mix, which contains pine bark, charcoal, and small stones, to lighten it up. Dan (Bluebonsai) may chime in with some recommendations.

Susan

• kryptoknight38801
    18 years ago

I've got a Voodoo Lily (Dracunculus Vulgaris) and planted it late. After what seemed like an eternity, I have one teensy tiny little nub poking out of the ground. I planted it in a planter box, to allow for good drainage and to move it in when it gets too humid, but I also had had another bulb near it. That one is probably mushy, so my hopes are going with this one. Is there anything that needs to be done to help it grow along? What should I do if it is growing out of season? Have I just completely messed this little guy up? THanks for any help.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't think it's the humidity that affects the plant, but more like heat. I'm getting one, too, next month, and I've decided to wait until September to plant it. It's just too darn hot to stress them out any more than I need to by planting them in the heat. If you have a bulb near it that is rotting, though, that won't be good for the voodoo lily. Root rot can spread. What kind of bulb is it? If it's another aroid, you might want to dig it up (carefully), and cut off the portions that are rotted, if it looks like it's worth saving. Others on this forum have done this, and I'm sure they can help you out with that. I haven't actually had one rot yet.

Susan

• kbart8421
    15 years ago

I HAVE MANY GREEN DRAGONS AND WILL HAVE SEEDS THIS FALL IF ANY ONE IS INTERESTED.

MY VOODOO LILY IS BLOOMING (DACUNCULIUS VULGARIS). I HAVE ALSO A SIMILAR PLANT SAUROMATUM VENOSUM THAT IS ALSO CALLED BY SOME AS A VOODOO LILY. CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE COMMON NAME FOR S. VENOSUM? THANKS.

KEN

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES