Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobcat_gw

really cold hardy calla?!?!?!?!?!

bobcat
17 years ago

Hi everyone. I put this in the wrong section originally (lillies) so am pasting it over here. Thanks in advance for any advice! Pasted:

Hello,

Here's an interesting question for you experts out there. I accidentally left a calla lilly in the ground last fall (an atrocity, I know). The area is along a standard chain link fence. On the other side of this fence is a newly designed area that is 'mulched' with reddish brown stone. The area is not protected in any way. Well, today I was walking by and holy crap that calla was alive and well- although not blooming. I'm zone 5/6 ohio! Not sure exactly which calla it is, but have it narrowed down to either a pure white or yellow flower. They are the larger callas with the 'windows' in the leaves.

So what should I think of this development? Sheer luck with no chance of repetition? Did the stone mulch keep it just warm enough to make it? Even if the stone did warm the soil some, could it possibly have been enough to keep a calla alive through an ohio winter? Or do I have something special here?

Comments (3)

Sponsored