Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Urospatha grandis starting to flower

Posted by tropicbreezent (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 18:27

Last year I missed the flowering of my Urospatha grandis. Got home from work one day only to see the last withering remains of the inflorescence. So now it's starting to flower again. Somehow feel I'm going to miss it again. Don't think it's going to open up over the weekend. Then I'm away for nearly a fortnight again. But anyway, I'm posting these photos at this stage and if I'm lucky and the flowers do last til I get back I'll get photos and upload.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Urospatha grandis starting to flower

A close up of the inflorescence now.

o

very cool tropic !!
oh to live in a climate like you do.. sigh..
but..if i did.. i dont think i could work.. LOL id be busy
hunting down all the plants i want..and setting up gardens/ponds everywhere..
how old do the urospatha have to be to get to blooming
age??

o

Dave, that's one of the reasons I moved here. And yes, sometimes I question why I'm getting up at 3AM to get to work each fortnight. But then, I see all these price tags on everything around me and I realise why. Although, I do like my job, that helps a lot.

o

Sorry, I over looked your question. It flowered first last year when I'd had it about a year. Not sure of its age when I got it, but it was a small plant. It was given to me by the same person who gave me the Lagenandra.

o

Got home from work and the Urospatha flower was there in all its glory.

o

I'm glad it timed it well for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here