Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ZZ plant question

Posted by divine.miss.em 9 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 19:39

This is my ZZ plant. I'm wondering if it's at all normal for the stalks of leaves to occasionally uproot and fall over - sometimes even the new growth. It gets some light - not direct ligh - ad adjacent to a window in my living room. I water it about once a week. It's in regular indoor/outdoor potting soil. I've owned it for almost a year, I've probably had about 6-8 stalks uproot over that time - some old some new. When this happens it's usually mushy and soft at the base of the stalk. Sometimes the leaves discolored first but other times the leaves looked good when it fell over. I don't think it was due to overwatering because for the first 6 months I had it, it was in very low light spot, and I only watered it about once a month, but it still uprooted sometimes. Then I repotted it and moved to a brighter location, and began watering more frequently. Photos below.

IMG_1493

IMG_1494

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ZZ plant question

Does that pot have a drain hole?

o

What I see is a zz, badly in need of more light, and less water...that friend u show, is clearly rotted, it may not be due to over water, but I bet it is!
Mine are outside under alot if shade, they still get some direct light and rather bright light all day, I still water them only about once a month, when soils very dry on top...
Good luck

o

Yes is has a drainage hole plastic pot and saucer. Thanks for the tips, maybe I'll put it in a protected area outside for the summer.

o

In addition to the location/sun issue, I think its' pot situation is similar to this Anthurium.

The pebbles are a top dressing, I'm assuming, a thin layer on top? Quite attractive, but they can slow drying quite a bit vs. exposed soil. I wonder if having the pebbles so close to the crown is more likely to aid rotting at the crown. I've not had great results trying similar setups before, but ZZ plant wasn't one of them. Fairly new to this plant but can report that being in somewhat dappled sun in the morning, until about 11:30 is not causing sunburn.

If the sun shines on the plant at some point each day, I think that would help warm the rocks and bake the surface dry, which should make rotting much less likely to occur, as well as offer the natural detoxifying effects of UV rays. I might also give the crown a little more space/air by moving the pebbles away from that area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here