Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alocasia ID help!!

Posted by bluebonsai101 6a PA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 05 at 19:50

Hi All, I got some Alocasia (or maybe they are a different genus) from India and was hoping that someone here could provide an ID. I am hopeless at these guys and have no real knowledge of them to be honest. I posted a couple of pics in the gallery. The black one is sort of cute I think! Thanks in advance :o) Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alocasia ID help!!

Dan,
The black one is Xanthosoma nigrum (syn. violaceum) The other one is also Xanthosoma but blade not exactly the shape of my sagittifolium, robustum, or atrovirens. The ultimate size may give a clue. Nigrum makes a beautiful six foot clump here in Dallas. They love the heat and humidity. BTW- These are new world plants that have made the round through India :-)

Keiko

o

I agree. I have never been to India but they must be very common there, (though not native). Im talking about X. violeceum. It seems like every Indian owned smaller scaled motel around here have X. violeceums planted outside. Either they are very common there and lots of people bring them over when they come here or our Indian population is rather small and they have been passed on from one friend to another...lol. Regardless they are a beautiful plant.
Michael M.

o

Thanks guys, I'm never sure when my friend sends me stuff sort of off the cuff like this :o) Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here