Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

ZZ leaf propagation

karyn1
16 years ago

I potted uo several ZZ leaves (leaflets, not the whole stalk) at least 4 months ago. The base of the leaves developed a kind of bulb type swelling and a good root system but nothing else has happened. The leaves are healthy there's just no growth appearing yet. When should I see some new growth?

Karyn

Comments (6)

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

I've been told it can take a year. I started some myself in December, and another set in February, and I'm in the same situation: bulbs, roots, nothing else. (By the way -- not a good idea to disturb the bulbs and roots; it can kill them.)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. I knew they were slow but a year is a long wait. lol They are even slower than my clivia seeds! My mature plant is growing much faster than I anticipated. It's put out about 10 new leaves in the past couple months and is starting to push out the sides of it's pot. I haven't messed with the cuttings other than the one time feeling under the soil and finding the bulb and roots. They all still look fine.
    Thanks,
    Karyn

• mr_subjunctive
    16 years ago

Lucky you. I've had my ZZ since December and it's done nothing. Zero. No new leaves, no dead leaves. It's not as though I'm being mean to it. . . .

I'm hoping the babies are a little more sympathetic to me, whenever they get going.

• dirtmonkey
    16 years ago

It seems like I always have a Zamioculas leaflet rooted somewhere. They take soooooooo long to send up a shoot, it's always a nice surprise to see it! One I had in a greenhouse took over two years, early 2003 to mid 2005.

Then it finally sprouts, the novelty wears off, and I give it away. Then a little while later I start another one. I've got one now going on 3 months. I've never actually kept a larger mature plant.

I have received rooted leaflets in the mail, from New York, barerooted. Planted with no particular carefulness using a very light mix, they grew just fine. I think with proper care they aren't all that sensitive to disturbance.

Vincent

• araceaelover
    16 years ago

Potted up 2 leaves 2 months ago. Last week I unpotted them to find small tubers on both. I re-potted them in new soil. I'll wait until the spring before I do much more with them.

• jay83
    9 years ago

Actually if you use a heating mat when yoh propagate zz leaves. U need to keep them very warm. Aim for 84-86F. Within 28 days they will be fully rooted and within 6-8 months u have marketable 4 inch pots!. Its just a misconception they take a very long time only because noone keeps them very warm during propagation. Studies have shown if u keep them at normal room temp (70f) then devolopment can be delayed by one year. Hence y ppl say they take a yr to grow lol. Trust me keep them very warm 84-86f constantly with heat mat and ull see within 6-8 months from first taking leaf cutting ull have a marketable 4 inch pot

And imo... take apical cuttings..where u take a leaf like normal. Then cut it width wise across. U ge twice as many tubers that way on each apical cutting (more surface area in contact with soil). Then u can use the bottom ends like normal for other cuttings so each leaf gives u two cuttings and the apical ones u make gves u 2-3 tubers per leaf not just one like a whole leaf gives u. Give the heat and apical method a try!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio