Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ZZ leaf propagation

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (bhkalen@aol.com) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 20:29

I potted uo several ZZ leaves (leaflets, not the whole stalk) at least 4 months ago. The base of the leaves developed a kind of bulb type swelling and a good root system but nothing else has happened. The leaves are healthy there's just no growth appearing yet. When should I see some new growth?
Karyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ZZ leaf propagation

I've been told it can take a year. I started some myself in December, and another set in February, and I'm in the same situation: bulbs, roots, nothing else. (By the way -- not a good idea to disturb the bulbs and roots; it can kill them.)

o

Thanks for the info. I knew they were slow but a year is a long wait. lol They are even slower than my clivia seeds! My mature plant is growing much faster than I anticipated. It's put out about 10 new leaves in the past couple months and is starting to push out the sides of it's pot. I haven't messed with the cuttings other than the one time feeling under the soil and finding the bulb and roots. They all still look fine.
Thanks,
Karyn

o

Lucky you. I've had my ZZ since December and it's done nothing. Zero. No new leaves, no dead leaves. It's not as though I'm being mean to it. . . .

I'm hoping the babies are a little more sympathetic to me, whenever they get going.

o

It seems like I always have a Zamioculas leaflet rooted somewhere. They take soooooooo long to send up a shoot, it's always a nice surprise to see it! One I had in a greenhouse took over two years, early 2003 to mid 2005.

Then it finally sprouts, the novelty wears off, and I give it away. Then a little while later I start another one. I've got one now going on 3 months. I've never actually kept a larger mature plant.

I have received rooted leaflets in the mail, from New York, barerooted. Planted with no particular carefulness using a very light mix, they grew just fine. I think with proper care they aren't all that sensitive to disturbance.

Vincent

o

Potted up 2 leaves 2 months ago. Last week I unpotted them to find small tubers on both. I re-potted them in new soil. I'll wait until the spring before I do much more with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here