Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amorph chomped off

Posted by AachenElf z5 Mpls, MN (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 05 at 22:19

I gave friend a few Konjacs. They were growing really well until this weekend when something chomped the whole plant off at ground level. Will these resprout? Any ideas what critters like to eat these?

Kevin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amorph chomped off

Wow, even here where we seem to be bug central I've never had anything eat mine. Or for that matter the elephant ears or philodendrums. Some kind of caterpillar? Look under the pot and see if you find a cutworm hiding there. Tally HO!

o

I guess I'm still wondering if these have dormant eyes that will start growing if the main stem is cut? Many other bulbs and tubers do have these. How about amorphs?

o

Hi AachenElf, yes they have! After blooming ( from top of the stem, which is built as a tuber ) a dormant eye ( you have litterally translated the same word as we have! ) or more start for the foliage. I have seen pictures on the web of Indian farmers cutting big paeonis in "little" pieces of one pound to till their field ( hope I found the right expression in my dictionary! ) I.e. make the pieces grow for the next harvest.
Seeems crude to ( for? ) us, but that's lfe!
Bye
hermann

o

Thank you so much. I will pass this info on to my friend with the chomped Amorph.

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here