Return to the Aroid Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aroids from seed?

Posted by jfr1107 Austin z denial (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 05 at 23:51

Greetings,

I was wondering how easy aroids are to grow from seed? I have come across a few sources, but there has not been any info on how readily they germinate, conditions etc.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aroids from seed?

In my experience, they germinate quite easily so long as they are fresh. My experience includes Syngonium, Amorphophallus, Alocasia, Philodendron, Anthurium, Caladium, and Synandrospadix.

They need to be kept warm and moist but not wet. Some are easier than others to germinate, but all need to be watched for fungus and/or bacterial infections.

Hope this helps,
LariAnn

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroidia Research

o

I agree with LariAnn, it is not that hard but really depends on what type of Aroid you are trying to grow. I have only tried growing Cyrtosperma, Philodendron and Anthurium from seed and have had success with them. Philos come up easily in seed starter soil kept moist and warm. Anthuriums do well soaked in luke warm water for a few hours, then remove flesh. Clean and put in Clean Spaghnum moss and keep in a warm humid place. Cyrtosperma the same as Anthurium.

o

Hi, John !
I sowed Arisaema consanguineum on the 7th of january 2004 and seedlings appeared at the last days of may 2004. They looked nice, I putted them into shade and forgot them a little bit. They overlived in their pots with much sandy-substrate. And as our falls are often very moist, they have been moist during the whole winter in glasshouse. They became dormant very early and got up only on the mid or end of June 2005. But they are wonderful,have nice leaves now and I think, next year they will flower. So retain this: they must not become dry during their first winterperiodes. Good luck!
rosacentifolia

o

LariAnn,

Hi! What do you use to treat fungus on tiny seedlings of anthurium andraeanum? If there is anyone that knows, it will be you.  photo images.jpg

Thanks!
Carol

o

Some of my aglaonema seedlings. :D

o

Wonder what LariAnn thinks about the use of cinnamon for that...?

Another shot of the seedlings...

o

Copper based fungicide should work fine

o

In you guys' experience,..these subtle variations in leaf detail...are they likely to stay this way or go crazier still? I fancy the idea that because these guys did not come from slips off another host plant,but are,each of them,unique genetically speaking,they will show their individuality more and more as they mature.

In expecting this,..am I chasing my tail here?

o

No you got it!

Seeds offer incredible genetic diversity!
Even if the plant self pollenates, there's a good chance, especially if one or both parents ate hybrids!

I can't speak for those plants, but many aroids get better color as they she, some go all green, I think algolema general get more color as they age.

o

Aglaonema commutatum isn't a hybrid though,right? From what minimal research I've done to answer that so far I'm guessing the answer is no,but I still have hope to see more and more unique characteristics.

In another thread I spoke of recently having visited the same library again to discover (to my delight) that the ags there had gone to seed again. I collected 20 more ripe seeds and repeated my experiment. So far all the seeds look healthy and one of them is beginning to sprout! Color me excited!!

Another thing worthy of note is that although I've only ever heard of ags being really slow growers(sure is true of the one's I have propagated by cuttings),the seedlings from last year have grown at a rate that I really wasn't expecting.

I really don't have a long history of sowing seeds,as I've always believed that slip cuttings was a shortcut to having a larger plant sooner,but in this case it's hard to say.

o

asleep, how do you know when the seed is ripe? is it certain time of the year, or the way it looks?

o

It will be red.

The yellow berries aren't ripe enough yet.

When you have a ripe one the flesh is about maybe an eighth of an inch thick around the seed itself,and you remove this first. The red will stain like crazy so use a paper towel to do this part.

Last year what I did at that point was to drop the seeds in one of my ten gallon aquariums that had a film of moisture on the bottom and covered it again to trap the humidity. Before I knew it,they started sprouting. This was when I put each one in it's own little cell(seen in pic above). Since then they've all been moved to yogurt containers,and some have already outgrown those.

This year's seeds were started in a ziplock bag,again with just a film of water. One of them started to poke out a little green point,so I put them in a terrarium.

Hopefully I didn't do this too soon.

We shall see!

o

so do you know if flowers were self-pollinated?
and how long it took them to ripen?

o

From what I've read,self pollinating isn't possible. The male flowers open first,and are spent by the time the female flowers further down the spadix are ready.

There were more ags around which explains where the pollen came from(males on one plant were active at the same time as females on another),but the confusing part is that I've also read that the regular pollinator is a type of scarab beetle native to the rainforests that ags call home that are specialized to the task.

Very confusing.

I could have it all wrong of course.
Maybe self pollination is actually a possibility(would sure explain a lot).

Also Hand pollinating is doable. Never done it myself,but I've seen websites that show you how.

Not sure how long the berries take to ripen,but when I went to the library there they were waiting for me. Hard to say because it was the first time I'd been there in quite a while.

Here's a link to a thread that has pics of last years seedlings.

Also some good links worth looking at.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

the reason i was asking - i got a pink thai ag and it constantly throws flowers. but it's a hybrid, so no use trying to get seeds - they are proly sterile. but i entertained the thought anyway, since your seedlings look so good!
i found some info that says only ag.commutatum and it's cultivars can be propagated from seed.
thai ags are supposed to be hybrids of ag.rotundum.

o

I've read the same thing about the commutatum(same type I harvested from,..go figure). Heartbreaking,isn't it?

Guess there's still stem cuttings though but it's just not the same.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Aroid Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here