Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saged_gw

Alocasia x amazonica

saged
18 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get seeds from?

Kind regards

Darren

Comments (5)

• lariann
    18 years ago

Alocasia x amazonica seeds are not available because in order to get seeds, you have to repeat the cross that gave rise to the A. x amazonica. Because of hybrid variation, all the seedlings would be different. There are several A. x amazonica variants on the market as it is (the "regular" one, another called "Polly", and one called "Purpley") and with my experience in hybridization, I'm sure there were a lot of other variants that were never released into the marketplace.

By the way, I've found the the "Polly" does not produce pollen while the "regular" A. x amazonica does. I have not seen a Purpley in bloom so I cannot verify if it produces pollen or not.

Hope this helps,
    LariAnn

Here is a link that might be useful: Aroidia Research

• saged
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the info.

My problem now is how to buy the tubers/corms and get them into Mexico. Any ideas? I understand customs can be a big problem here.

Darren

• lariann
    18 years ago

Darren,

The best I can do is to tell you how it is done here in the USA; I don't have any knowledge about the regulations in Mexico but it might help you find out what you need to know to do it.

In the USA, the importer (you) has to have a plant import permit. The shipper has to provide a phytosanitary certificate and, perhaps, a CITES document along with the shipment. The shipment should go to the port of entry designated on your plant import permit. The corms/tubers must be packed in accordance with the regulations currently in effect, which in the case of USA imports means clean and bare root (no potting media).

I suggest that you find a large commercial nursery in Mexico, one that imports plant material from the USA or other countries on a regular basis, and find out how they go about it. That should give you an idea of how it is to be done.

Good luck!
    LariAnn

• saged
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Many thanks for the advice.

Darren

• crjs
    16 years ago

I have a fairly new Amazonica, doing well. It is flowering. In order to encourage more Leaf Growth, should I snip the flower now?
    Thanks!
    Chet

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions