Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_virginia

Help ID Variegated Colocasia

dave_in_virginia
14 years ago

I purchased this unknown colocasia recently at a local nursery. It was among two groups of pots labeled as C. Diamond Head and C. Maui Magic, but didn't look like either and this pot was not labeled. It has dark red stems (one is visible above the leaf in the photo). Some of the older leaves are half-dark, half-light colored, and the lighter portions were dried up, so I wonder if it is sensitive to too much sun. I find the combination of colors (black and green-gold) unique among colocasias I have seen. Has anyone seen a plant like this one and can you provide any info about its origin? Thanks.

[URL=http://s906.photobucket.com/albums/ac261/DaveBishop48/?action=view&current=Unknown1s.jpg][IMG]http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac261/DaveBishop48/th_Unknown1s.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Comments (7)

• dave_in_virginia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to other users, I have finally figured out how to include photos. Here is the unknown colocasia. This newest leaf is 15" long.

{{gwi:387685}}

• msbarbara
    14 years ago

It looks like one of the new Colocasia Hawaii series. I believe there are three new one. I don't know what it is but it goes on the gotta have list. If you find out, i would like to know so I could order one.

• shadowpaige64507
    14 years ago

Looks like a Maui Magic that has mutated. Are all the leaves that way or just that one?

If I post this correctly this is a picture of my Maui Magic

{{gwi:387684}}

• bihai
    14 years ago

I agree it does resemble Maui Magic. I have 2 huge stands of MM, I hope one mutates!

• dave_in_virginia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the responses. This plant has another new leaf, this one mostly splotched on one half, like the one I pictured, and the other half is solid gold-green with red veins, and it has grown to over 18" long. All leaves show some variegation, although the original ones were smaller and pretty well beaten up when I bought the plant. I figured it was something different when I first saw it. I'm growing it where it gets some sun, but is also shaded by its neighbors during midday, so as to not burn out the lighter leaf areas. Also have other irregularly variegated colocasias, including Yellow Splash, Black Marble, and Lime Aide.

• dave_in_virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got a message from member "miketropic" asking if I had offsets of this plant available. I'm afraid not. I grew this one for two summers before losing it to rot while overwintering it. I don't really regret its loss, for I noticed very quickly that the plant did not maintain the lighter leaf areas. Usually before the next leaf emerged, the previous one's light areas were starting to dry up and turn brown. I have had much better luck with the green/yellow varieties like Yellow Splash (don't have it any longer) and Midori Sour.

• miketropic
    10 years ago

ahh so sad was such a nice mutant...

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer