Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengurl49

peace lily flowers

gardengurl49
18 years ago

hello everyone!

I am trying to get my peace lily to flower

It was just transfered to a slightly bigger pot than its former one which I found was a bad move

however it is still doing fine

i have some questions however

what do the stalks of the flowers look like? I'm looking out for those but I'm not sure if I'm looking for the right thing.

I see these VERY tightly rolled up "leaves" (?) as if the peace lily's leaf rolled up or never uncurled.. could this be a flower stalk?

I also see a stalk branching off of a leaf.. could this be a leaf of a flower? Or am I getting excited over nothing?

Please give me some information on this.. thank you very much! :)

Comments (9)

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

If you google "peace lily" + flowers, you will get some images of what the flowers look like. All aroids have flowers that are hooded, like calla lilies, which I'm sure you have seen. The flowers on spathephyllum are pure white. They may look slightly green when they first appear as a bud. You will no doubt recognize them when they emerge since they look totally different than a tightly "rolled up" leaf.

How big is your peace lily and what size pot did you "up" it to? I doubt that you harmed it. They like moist soil, but not soggy. They will bloom without much light at all.

THey are very, very tough plants, and the only way to kill one, would be to let it dry out for months. I've had one that I forgot to water for up to 4 months, and it still came back. Of course, I had to trim of all of the dead leaves, but it sprouted new ones and did fine. People even grow them in clear vases with beta fish.

I would say that you really can't harm it, other than by forgetting to water it over an extended, really extended period of time, or by putting it in a blender and smooing it. LOL!

The botanical name spathyphyllum is descriptive of the blooms, which are called spathes in all aroids.

Susan

• gardengurl49
    Original Author
    18 years ago

ive heard some get flower more than others.. ours gets some light but doesnt flower at all (its in front of a window w/ blinds that only lets a little light in).. i guess it just needs more light.. which it won't be getting :(

thank you for all your help!

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

Garden Girl: I bet you will eventually get flowers. There are two huge ones sitting on either side of the hallway in our office, no light at all, and they flower tons. Just be patient. You'll get some flowers one of these days.

Susan

• Bossy vossy
    18 years ago

of all the plants I grow, inside or out, potted or inground this one in the absolutely darkest place and does well there. It takes a lot of neglect because of its "out of sight" location, but it always springs back.

• gardengurl49
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I See this WHITE BUMP on the side of a stem! I THINK its a peace lily flower!!!! amazing!

the thing is that we had this plant for 3-5 years and the only time it bloomed was the time when we received it! how funny.. thank you for all ur support..

does anyone know how i can help the plant along in producing more flowers?

• susanlynne48
    18 years ago

You could feed it a high phosphorus fertilizer, like Super Bloom. Make sure the middle number is higher than the first and the last. This promotes bloom. Like a 10-20-10. Super Bloom is like an 8-55-8, or something. If you are into organics, you can feed it bulb food by Espoma, or other companies, or just bone meal. Although I've heard that the bone meal on today's market is not as effective as it used to be.

Susan

• erin5
    15 years ago

I've had two peace lillies for about a year and haven't been able to produce flowers from either of them since I brought them home. I've tried the above suggestions. Does anyone have any other ideas? Both get indirect sunlight for a good part of the day and drain well when watered. They appear to be healthy plants minus the flowers.

• timestocome
    15 years ago

That's funny, I find these to be one of the easier plants to bloom indoors.

First a bit more sun. See how much sun you can give it with out burning the leaves.

If that doesn't make it flower try a fertilizer, something balanced, say a 10-10-10 those are usually easy to find. It's the phosphorus that helps blooms.

If neither of those work, let it go a little drier. Sometimes stressing a plant will bring it into bloom.

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    Doubt if I can help much as I grow them outdoors as a yardplant as well as in the shadehouse. I get the heaviest flowering during spring then sporadicly, stopping completely only in Jan, Feb. One of two things are the obvious trigger. More light , and more water. Though I doubt the water is important as I grow some in standing water which flower generally at the same time.. But this also might be because they are different species.
    Always find it interesting that if you visit a nursery .No matter what time of the year they will have some in flower , They know the secret obviously.lol
    In your case I'd let it dry to the point of stress and then flood it. You'll have a new flush of growth for sure lol gary

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996